Saturday, September 30, 2017

September Haul

Oddly this book haul gave me mixed feelings, I wasn't sure why, but I got a couple books in the beginning of the month that I was interested in but wasn't excited for, despite still wanting to read them, but then as the month went on, some new releases were able to make it into this stack and I got really excited to be able to have access to them as well as owning them in general.

The first two I got at my local used book store: Tincan Mailman, I unhauled a couple more books from my horde that I personally didn't like, didn't make in impact or just wasn't interested in, and was able to get credit for them and found these two sitting upon the shelves.

The first being:

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

Published January 2017, by Katherine Tegen Books
So I don't know much about this one, I just remember it being announces and falling in love with this cover, once it got published there was some controversy. From what I've heard Carve the Mark has two groups of people that dislike each other, Roth describes mutliple people from both sides as being "mixed", from light, to tan, to dark skin, each group has a bit of both, same with hair type. But other aspects of the book lead to one group being more "tribal" than the other and there for creating a sort of "racist" undertone to the book. I've also heard that there is controversy over glorifying cutting , as well as discrimination upon those with disabilities.

I ignored this book for a while, essentially as soon as I heard it was racist against POC's. But I'm not going to lie, there has been curiosity and an interest to read this despite that controversy, so when I found this book at a used book store, I decided to buy, not wanting to pay full price. So we'll see how I feel about it after I read it.

The next book I got at Tincan Mailman was:

Paper Towns by John Green

Published September 2009, by Speak
Again not sure what this is about, I'm not even sure if I should start reading John Green with this book, but I enjoy the cover.

The next book I actually found at Costco for a decent price considering it's a new release, and that's:

Wonder Woman Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo

Published August 2017, by Random House Books for Young Readers
This book is the first in a type of series, four authors are writing alternative origin stories for popular superheroes. So there's Wonder Woman, there will be: Batman, Superman and Catwoman. Leigh Bardugo's Wonder Woman is about Diane (Wonder Woman) finding a girl after her cruise ship was attacked. This girl is the reincarnate of a god of war, and there are those in the world who will have her killed, or use her for their own purposes. With Diane's help they will find a new path for this girl.

I'm pretty excited about it, for some reason. I haven't read any of the comics of Wonder Woman, I haven't even seen the movie, but this....this I want to read bad.

The next three books I got at my local favorite: Northtown Books, with the intention of just being this one, I bought two more out of feat they wouldn't be there later:

The Hush by Skye Melki-Wegner

Published June 2017, by Sky Pony Express
Chester is only trying to find his lost Father. Playing a fiddle one day for spare change he taps into the Song. It is forbidden for anyone but the Songshaper to tap into this incredible force, and when Chester is caught, he is sentenced to death. Before the ax falls someone makes a daring rescue and whisks Chester off to the Hush, a mirror world full of nightmares where echoes can kill. Taken to Suzanna, head of the Nightfall gang, she's been watching Chester and thinks she can use him to pull off an elaborate plan. She will do anything to do this right, even if it means Chester's death.

First off Cover love! it's enticing, and classic, and it reminds me fore the Monsters of Verity Series so yes, I'm down for this.

Next is:

Wicked like a Wildfire by Lana Popovic

Published August 2017, By Kathrine Tegen Books

This book is about two sisters who were born into a family where the women have a type of gift called a gleam. Malina can sing and play music that will release emotions one didn't know they were capable of feeling. Iris can turn flowers into fractals and turns the design into blown glass. Their mother, Jasmina, can bake and when you eat her baked goods, can make you feel like you were remembering a place you may not have even been before. But Jasmina has rules for her girls to follow, don't let anyone see your gifts, and no falling in love. Life between mother and daughters gets rocky  as their relationships threaten the power of the gleam, and when a visitor shows up and Jasmina is found dead, the sisters must find out for themselves who killed her and how.

Cover love first off, and the synopsis sounds really really interesting.

The next four books I got are from Book Outlet

The first one being:

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira

Published April 2017, By Farrar, Straus and Giroux
This book follows Laurel, and her letters to the dead. It starts off with a school assignment, to write letters to a dead person. Laurel chooses Kurt Cobain, because her sister, May, liked him. He died young, just like May did. Laurel writes more letters to more people: Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, etc. About high school, new friendships and first loves. She begins to write about the abuse she suffered while May was supposed to be watching out for her. As Laurel begins writing the truth does she start to see her sister in the light, lovely, amazing, and with deep flaws. Only after she begins to accept her sister does she begin to accept what happened to her sister.

Another cover love, the colors are gorgeous and the cover itself is poetic and simple.

The Thousandth Floor by Katherine McGee

Published August 2016, By Harpercollins
This book is set in New York City, 2118. And seems to be a collection of stories of characters that live in this advanced city and in this thousand floor building complex.

The cover attracted me a year ago, but for some reason it was a book I didn't really want to pay full price for, because the synopsis didn't immediately click with me.

What Dreams May Come By Richard Matherson

Published January 2004 by Tor Books
I got this because I only recently found out this was a book. I've seen the movie with Robin Williams, and it's one of my all time favorite movies, though I haven't watched it since Robin's death...Ironic how he died and this movie he played in.

If you don't know, this book follows Chris, who's died in a car accident, and who's conscience, his spirit, is very much still active, because he still wants to be with his wife. His wife, doesn't want to continue living with out Chris. Each regard each other as their soulmate, Chris goes on a journey to be with his wife after death.

I hate this cover. But I loved the movie, I've heard the book is a little slow, but I'm hoping it has the similar elements to the movie.

Pay It Forward by Catherine Ryan Hyde

Published October 2000, by Pocket Books
This book was also a movie, and one I had seen but didn't know there was a book to.

Trevor McKinney is a twelve year old boy that accepts that challenge his teacher has proposed for extra credit: Come up with a plan to change the world for the better, and put that plan into action. His plan is simple and naive that when he explains it to people, they're dismissive, to the point that Trevor doubts his "pay it forward" plan.

These next two books I got in my September Book of the Month

The first being my pick of the month:

Sourdough by Robin Sloan

Published September 2017, by Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
Lois Clary is a software engineer at a San Fransisco robotics company, coding all day and all night. When her favorite sandwich shop closes up, the owners leave her with the starter of their mouth watering sourdough bread. Lois becomes the unlikely hero tasked with taking care of it, baking it and making sure these micro organisms stay alive and well. Soon she is baking bread daily and taking it to the farmers market aiming to fuse food and technology.

For some reason this one reminded me of Chemistry. It has that same feel to it, and it sounded light and fun. The cover also makes me laugh.

The next book I got was actually a pick back in October of 2016, but I've been eyeing it for a while, but didn't really want to pay full price for it.

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue

Published October 2016, By Little Brown and Company
This book is set in Ireland, sometime early on before electricity and cars. People are flocking to see Anna O'Donnell, claiming she's manna from heaven. Lib Wright is a nurse from Florence Nightingale's Crimean campaign sent to watch over this eleven year old "wonder"

I went into this book not knowing much. The synopsis didn't intrigue me at first but slowly worked on me until I found myself needing this book. Also Loving the cover.

And finally the last book for the month of September was my Upper Case Box book.

Warcross by Marie Lu

Published September 2017, By G.P. Putman's Sons Books for Young Readers
I kept hearing this get all hyped due to it's cover and it's synopsis. It's supposed to be all the things that Ready Player One was supposed to be. But in all honesty, it never peaked my interest and is the first book the Upper Case has sent to me that I probably wont be reading. I dislike the cover and the synopsis didn't really capture me. I'll keep it for a couple months to see if anything has changed, if it's peaked my interest at all otherwise I'll most likely give it to my local used book store.

And that was all the books I got for the month of September! Let me know if you've read any of these and what you thought of them! Are there any you want to get to? what's you're most exciting book you got this month?

Think mine would be Wicked Like a Wildfire, as I've already devoured it

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment