Saturday, September 30, 2017

September Review

Holly Hell it's October....I love it.

I was surprised I was about to read what I was able to, as the beginning of September I found myself with a second job which is turning out to be my only job starting October 1st. So there's going to be a bit of a transition as I get used an office job.

Although it still isn't much I'm finding it's still a good amount, I read a total of four books.

The first one being the graphic novel:

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol


This book is about Anya, a Russian girl who is trying to fit in to an American High School. So when she falls into an old well, the last thing Anya expected to find was a friend, let alone a dead one. But while she struggled with fitting into school, being self conscious about her body, and is embarrassed by her family, maybe a friend is just what Anya needs.

I really enjoyed the art style of this book. It's bold and simply and the story was cute and interesting, and even through me for a loop. This was a quick read to try to get me out of the slump I was in in August.

Well I went from a dead friend to a dying dog with:

Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley


This book follows Ted Flask and his dog Lily. Lily is Ted's fur baby, and he will stop at nothing to ensure her happiness. But when he finds an octopus on top of Lily's head, Ted has to come face to face with some of his own demons and reality as he fights to free his dog from this tentacled grasp.

This book surprised me. A good 3/4 of it I found kind of mundane. There were a lot of flash backs into memories which I get is to help establish the relationship that is Ted and Lily but it still felt slow. But after that 3/4 mark....the tears snuck up on my folks. Man was I not expected to sob, let alone at work on my lunch break. There was no warning to it, it just snuck up and BAM, hit me in the feels. Any one who has had to make that difficult choice at the Vet's will understand. Interestingly enough though I really thoroughly enjoyed the ending, and was completely satisfied when I finished the book...3.5 out of five stars, but that's my compromise for the first 3/4 of it lacking and the last 1/4 breaking and mending my heart.

Realizing that Death is a theme this month... because I went on to read:

Everything All at Once by Katrina Leno


This was my Upper Case book for August. When I got it I wasn't sure about it. I don't enjoy this cover. I think it could have been re worked differently because...the title how it's arranged almost hurts.

But the synopsis was interesting: We follow Lottie Reaves, the niece to a world famous author who created a series of books everyone well in love with (Think JK Rowling) But when Lottie's Aunt dies of breast cancer Lottie find the troubles that she had with anxiety coming back to her. But when Lottie finds that her aunt has written her a series of letters to help her with her passing, Lottie is forced to face some of her anxiety's on her own as well as figuring out how to ask for help, as her aunt's letters ask her to do some daunting tasks Lottie wouldn't dream of doing on her own.

I adored this book. I love the name Lottie Reaves, first off. Secondly I love that she is from a family a readers, to the point where her little brother Abe is such a book nerd he has first signed additions that he cares for in glass cases and will only touch with cotton gloves (this totally sounds like my brother!) I did have an issue at first, the family seems so....well comunicated. There wasn't any major issues with the family, there all seemed like best friends that communicated when something was wrong. Which I at first found unbelievable. But after reading on it became enjoyable and endearing, realizing that that is my main issue with some books is that communication is that main damn issue and if they just talked there wouldn't be an issue at all! This book had that communication and it was so relieving. It let me focus more on the story rather than how shitty the family was at talking with each other. I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. .25 taken away for the cover. .25 taken away due to the random twist at the end that I guess fits in with the theme but still bugs me.

From one death to another...

Wicked Like a Wildfire by Lana Popovic'


Iris and Malina's family have a gleam. A magic of sorts that is able to manipulate beauty. Iris see's fractals like a kaleidoscope and creates blown glass from it's imagery. Malina interprets moods as music, and their Mother, Jasmina, can bake memories. But their mother has strict rules when it comes to the gleam. No one can no about it, and no falling in love. But when their mother is mysteriously attacked, the sisters have to discover the truth behind their quiet life their mother set up for them. They discover a wicked curse that runs through their family.

This book was complex. I had heard the hype about it before it was published, the synopsis was interesting, the cover is gorgeous. I had to get this book. But when reading it I was constantly at a loss. As soon as I would get comfortable with the story something would come and through me off. For some reason thinking about this story as a contemporary never set well. The sisters had cell phones to text their friends and cars to travel, which for some reason through me off. Then of course the mystery behind the attack and who was bad and who was good was never clear. But the imagery was gorgeous, the play with the senses was poetic and lovely and inspiring, I wish I could bake like Jasmina. Ultimately I gave this book a 4 out of 5 stars, but it's more like a 3.5.

And those are the books I read for the month of September. What were you able to read this month? What was your favorite?

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment