Monday, January 2, 2017

First Book of 2017


So the first book I finished in 2017 is Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan.

Synopsis: Nick frequents New York's indie rock scene nursing a broken heart. Norah is questioning all of her assumptions about the world. They have nothing in common except for killer taste in music, but one awkward chance encounter turns into an all-night quest to find a legendary band's secret show in the mystic maze of Manhattan-- and a first date full of falling in and out (an in and out, and maybe in and maybe out) of love.

Personal Review: On Goodreads I gave this book a 3 out of five stars, but it's more of a 3.5. The book over all was light and fun. We get perspectives from both Nick and Norah through out their strange night in New York City. I've watched the movie before hand and it was only recently that I knew that this was even a book (thanks Booktube). And it's definitely helpful. I feel like this gives the characters a bit more depth, specifically Tris. The movie just leaves her as a shallow bitch that likes to control and manipulate her men whether or not she's still hooking up with them. But the book sheds a new light on her. Don't get me wrong she's still cast as a kind of "bitch" but I feel more than my ankles getting wet with this one. This book also gives a bit more insight to what Nick and Norah are thinking along the way. The one thing that I think the movie does a bit better is the whole "all-night quest to find a legendary band's secret show" that is very prevalent and a common theme through out the movie but in the book in seems more happen stance and briefly mentioned. Another issues I had is that through out the book you can kind of see the personal growth of the two, but towards the end the inner monologues was becoming a bit of a pain to get through, particularly with Norah. But that I feel was personal preference. Otherwise a relatively fun light read.

Cover: So there are four covers to this book. The one I have is one that's copywritten by Shutterstock and published August 28th 2007 in paperback. Which I don't mind, it's playful, the blurred light in the background give a sense of New York traffic. It also fits in with other Rachel Cohn & David Levithan collaborative book covers. My one issue is that the "infinite" competes a bit with the background.

From what I can get on Goodreads this cover is the hard cover version published May 23rd 2006. I appreciate the light blue color, but that's about it. I'm not a big fan of people on book covers because it messes with how I feel the characters should look like. I don't mind the font in which Norah's name is typed but not a fan of the Old English style Nick's is typed in.

This cover is the e-book cover published November 13th 2007. The font doesn't bug me so much in this cover. The Old English style isn't so dominating like it was in the hardback version, and the fact it's slightly as-cue which make it a bit playful. The color of the background is lovely and the subtlety of the city is a bit romantic. The playfulness of the earbud cords is a nice gesture but I feel like it it could have been explored a bit more.

And finally, published August 28th 2008, this book cover is the movie rendition with Michael Cera and Kat Dennings. Again I'm not a fan of people on the cover no matter if I already saw the movie or not. But I truly enjoy the written block font of the title, as well as the silhouetted city-scape with the Yugo driving through. Honestly if this one got rid of Cera and Dennings and instead had the swirly earbuds of the movie cover (because they are well incorporated there) but still encircling the title (moving it up towards more the center of the cover) much like the e-book version I'd spoon with this book it'd be so adorable.

What do you think of the covers? If you read and watched the movies, what were your likes and disklikes? Let me know in the comments! If you don't like any of the covers and dislike my suggestions, how would your composition for this book look? If you have created one already, link the image, I'd love to see them!

That's all for now, until next time!
xoxo
Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment