Tuesday, January 30, 2018

January Review

Well January came and went didn't it?

This month I read 6 books...not bad, start out the year how I ended the last which I thought was pretty strong.

I'm currently reading two books, one physically and that's Sourdough by Robin Sloan: I'm enjoying it so far, I now want to make bread, and eat it...while reading this book. I'm also listening to an Audio book Hearts of Resistance by Soraya M. Lane which I am also enjoying so far, though my critique off the bat is that the narrator sometimes speaks in whispers which makes it hard to understand what she's saying.

For the six books of January I read:

1 fantasy
1 children's
1 sci-fi
1 anthology
1 graphic novel
and
1 non-fiction

of those 2 were Audio books

All together it was about 1398 pages, about 45 pages a day.

For the 52 Books Around the Year challenge I was able to complete three:

16. A narrative Non-fiction
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls, that didn't win but was polarizing or a close call. I chose A book with a supernatural character
38. A science book or a science fiction book

The first one book I finished in 2018 was an audio book

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman, Narrated by Christina Moore

Published June 1995, by Putnam Adult
This book follows Gillian and Sally Owens, sisters left in the care of their eccentric conjuring aunt's, who raised them not with square meals and curfews but with spells and respect for the powers of the nature.

This book was my Move/Book Adaptation Review for January that I will put a link to HERE which is taking me longer to put up than I would like due to not being able to find the movie....which I knew we had....So that will be up soon with more of my extensive thoughts.

For now I will say I enjoyed the book over all 4 out of 5 stars, I just wish there was a bit more magic in it. The book was more character based than anything, which was great, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't nearly as magical as the movie.

This book completed Challenge 34 for the 52 books challenge: A book featuring a supernatural character (ie- witches)

Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth by Oliver Jeffers

Published November 2017, by Penguin Young Readers
This one was just too cute in that it's essentially a father's note to his new born son about planet Earth and explaining that there's land and water and the different landscapes and the different people and animals that live on Earth. The art was cute in that it was stylized but still recognizable in it's symbolism. I want this to be a series of books and have him illustrate different aspects of Earth Science for children. Five out of Five stars

StarWars: Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson

Published August 2017, by Del Rey
This book is the history of the ruthless Captain Phasma.

The cover of this book is what drew me to it. I remember the chromed storm trooper from StarWars: The Force Awakens and was all "whaaaaaaat?" So when I saw this book I was hoping it would give me some insight on this character.

Not to say it didn't, I definitely got to know Captain Phasma's history, I just...was a little disappointed in how this book was formatted. So you learn about Captain Phasma through a captured Resistance Spy. This spy was captured by Captain Cardinal, the storm trooper captain decked in red armor....Yeah I didn't know who he was either. Right off the bat we get that Captain Cardinal has something again Captain Phasma and want's information on her past, and this Resistance Spy is going to give it to him. Now going into this book I was expecting this whole space adventure to unfold. Not the case. It was Phasma's story told by a restistance spy. That's it. The spy eases into the story as Captain Cardinal tortures her, they both think they know how to play each other. We get a to know a little bit of Captain Cardinal through out this process, but little to nothing about the Resistance Spy other that she's good at her job. Perspectives switch constantly, from Resistance Spy to Captain Cardinal to the story the Resistance Spy tells, which was hard for me to get into at first, but as the book gets going, so does the story, and about half way through, that's when I hit my stride and didn't want to put the book down. It was thrilling and startling at times as we follow Phasma and her companions on her home dead planet. But when the story of Phasma ends, the rest of the book kind of becomes predictable, as the story gets you to understand Phasma's character and what she's capable of as well as how the First Order works, it's not too difficult to figure out the ending. Still an interesting read nonetheless. 3 out of 5 stars.

This book completed challenge 38 of the 52 books challenge: A book about science or a science fiction book.

Snotgirl: Vol. 1 Green Hair Don't Care by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Illustrated by Leslie Hung, Colored by Mickey Quinn, Lettered by Mare Odomo

Published February 2017, by Image Comics
Who is Lottie Person? She is a gorgeous fun-loving social media star who's life is nearly perfect, if not for her allergies which makes her a snotty mess. Enter a world of snot, blood and tears.

I am not sure what I had thought I was getting myself into when I got this book. I loved the cover, I thought this comic was going to be fun, witty, and perhaps a little sultry. I have not been more disappointed. I'm not sure if this was supposed to be satire, but I just found it irritating. Lottie is apparently "perfect" by her own standards, aside from her terrible allergies. She's a flashion blogger in LA and doesn't understand why her boyfriend would need a break from her when "everyone want to be her!" Half the content it chat speak or emoji's. All of her friends are also bloggers, but she can't remember who they are with out nicknames like "normgirl" "cutegirl" and "hotguy."

I just couldn't with this comic. I kept expecting it to get better, but no it pretty much stayed at a constant annoyance the whole time. I've stepped in puddles deeper than this. There was even a slight perk of interest as a potential murder happened, but there were so many scenes that were skipped and barely mentioned while other's, that just helped clarify how shallow these characters were, dragged out. Was there just something I missed? I don't understand. 2 out of 5 stars, and that is only for the art work.

Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

Published January 2017, by Grove Press
This book is a collection of short stories about a variety of different women, those who live in privilege and those who live in poverty. Those in happy marriages, and those haunted by lovers.

I enjoyed this book. It started strong with the first story and just hit the ground running. there were a few stories I liked more than others, one in particular that I can't think of the title at the moment, I could see images so clearly and it was so inspiring and magical. Trigger warnings for rape, loss, and abuse. 4 out of 5 stars.

The last book I read in January was

Consider the Fork: A History on How We Cook and Eat by Bee Wilson , Narrated by Allison Larkin

Published October 2012, by Tantor Media
The cover pretty much described the content of this book. It's a non-fiction history on cooking and how we eat. I enjoyed it as the narrator did a fine job getting Wilson's wit in there. Over all really interesting, it just got a bit repetitive after a bit and toward the end it just became back ground noise. It didn't end as strong as it started it my opinion. 3 out of 5 stars.

This book completed challenge 16 of the 52 books challenge: A narrative non-fiction.

And with that that is my January Review.

What books did you read during the month of January?
Have you read any of these? what were your thoughts?
If you are doing the 52 Books Around the Year Challenge which challenges were you able to complete this month?

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment