Thursday, June 22, 2017

Mid-Year Book Freak Out

So half the year has gone by... Yeah what the fuck.

So I based my Goodreads challenge on the Around the Year in 52 Books Goodreads group, in that I hope to read atleast 52 books in the year of 2017 and hope that some how I can pick and choose those books to fit into the challenges that come with Around the Year in 52 books.

So far I've read 24 books of the 52, which means I'm right on track. I have a couple in progress right now that I feel like I can get done by the end of June.

As for the weekly challenges I will figure that out towards the end of the year.

I'm going to do a book tag for this: The Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag. Created by youtubers: Chami and Ely

I've been wanting to create youtube videos for almost a year now but still feel I have work to do before I get to that point, so instead we're going to have some fun here.

I'm going to leave the questions down below in case anyone wants to do this yourself.

Alright here we go:

Best book you've read so far in 2017?

... I'm stuck between Eliza and Her Monsters,  American Gods and The Lonely Hearts Hotel ...
crap....
All of them were good in their own right for different reasons....
...You know what American Gods by Neil Gaiman


This was one of the books I listened to on Audible, and absolutely had a hard time pausing for any reason. I would come home from work and stay and extra 15 minutes in the car just so I could listen to it a little longer. It was enticing and thought provoking and I'm constantly thinking about it.

Best sequel You've read so far in 2017?

I have yet to finish any sequels so far. I'm barely into Eldest the second book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paulini. Otherwise most of what I've read this year are stand alones.

New release you haven't read yet but want to?

Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser


and Our Dark Duet by Victoria Schwab


Both I now have a physical copy of, but I feel are going to be waiting towards the end of summer...

Most anticipated release for the second half of the year?

One Dark Thone by Kendare Blake the second book in the Three Dark Crown Series. Out September 19th


Biggest Disappointment?

All the Broken Things by Kathryn Keutenbrouwer


The book's synopsis felt really interesting and enticing but the book was over all just a chore to read and was really anti-climactic, there were a couple times where I almost decided to just not finish it, and after finishing it felt like if I had I wouldn't have missed out on much.

Biggest Surprise?

The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill


I had gotten this one on a whim (it was a cover buy) at a Barnes and Noble. It was a surprise because I went into it hardly knowing anything and then to my surprise, despite it being in a YA section...It's Adult....Despite being focused during the depression it had Magic Realism. I didn't expect this book to affect me like it did. It wasn't predictable in the slightest, it took me by surprise every turn. It's come to be one of my favorite books and I do love it dearly.

Trigger warning for Rape

Favorite new author (debut or new to you)?


Heather O'Neil see above. I haven't read anything else by her, yet...

Newest fictional crush?

.....I got nothing...

Newest favorite character?

Rose from The Lonely Hearts Hotel, by Heather O'Neil. She's a girl that knows what she wants and knows how to do the work to get it. She never loses sight of her dream.

Book that made you cry?

There were several of these but one that had the biggest impact was Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia


This book got so much hype I was afraid to go into it at first. But I did and I devoured it. As an illustrator and an introvert I connected with Eliza on so many levels. This book gives a great outlook on anxiety and a great out look on Fandoms. It was all to easy too put myself into her shoes and just sob when her world fell apart.

Book that made you happy?

This would have to be My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman


This was another Audio book I listened to and the narrator was just so in tune with the book. The book itself can be rather sad and trigger warning for bullying (like holy hell I wanted to hit the Head Master of the school so bad!) but since it's being told through Elsa's point of view (the view of a 9 year old) it's rather entertaining and hilarious, some of the reasonings she gives to making her decisions. Such a pleasant read.

Most beautiful book you've bought or received this year?

Would have to be The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neil


and  Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser



I love the font on O'Neil's cover, I think it fits so well with the book and the story and it's what drew me. The narrowed simplistic sarif font...It's unique. The playful "a" the dramatic"y". Then the legs and the moon give it that magic.  Tolcser's I love the font as well, and actually even more so once I got the book and realized that it's raised with glitter was just amazing. The color of the book itself drew me and I think we can tell by now I'm a sucker for covers with the moon and stars on them. The water is an extra bonus. It just seems mysterious and elegant. Can't wait to dive into this book.

What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo


Every time I see this book I have to convince myself to wait until it's closer to fall (you know...to justify buying other books) And every time I try to get it because that's all I want it's not in my local book store. I'm skeptical abou t buying this one online, I want the pretty black pages!


A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab


I finally own this, and have heard good things. It sounds intriguing and it'll be interesting to see how I like this series compared to Schwabs Savage Song Series. The cover is really intriguing as well.

Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine


I only just found out about this because I keep seeing Ash and Quill advertised any time I open my Instagram page, and that cover is glorious, but to own that one I should probably see if I like the first one...

then yeah I should probably finish Eldest by Chrisopher Paolini


I don't mean to say that like it's a chore, but that's how it kind of feels. I'm definitely a mood reader but my boyfriend and I had this unspoken arrangement when we first got together a little over a year ago that we'd read each other's favorite series. Both of which we couldn't believe the other hand't read because they were huge.

For him he read Harry Potter, and for me it was Eragon. When we started I actually thought I'd beat him because Harry Potter has some chunky books (I'm looking at you Goblet of Fire!) But I didn't realize just how chunky Eragon's books were. Granted Harry Potter still has more pages (I mean 7 books.....) but Eragon didn't grasp me quite as well as the Harry Potter series did....and with it being about a year since my boyfriend finished the Potter series and me finding other books I want to read it's making me feel a little guilty about reading the next book. It's not going bad, but it is slow, but only because I read a chapter ever other night because I'm not taking that brick with me.


Alright I think that's it. I'll leave the list of questions for you. Let me know if you do this, i'd like to read them. I'll try to post more frequently.

Until Next time!
Litta


Mid-Year Book Freak Out questions

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2015. 
2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2015.
3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to.
4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
5. Biggest disappointment.
6. Biggest surprise.
7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you)
8. Newest fictional crush.
9. Newest favourite character.
10. Book that made you cry.
11. Book that made you happy.
12. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)
13. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment