Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Missed Books of 2017

This week's Top 5 Wednesday is Missed books of 2017, so books we meant to read in 2017 that we're prioritizing in 2018.

These books are in no particular order, just books I had wanted to read in 2017 and just either put them off too long or didn't get them in time.

5) Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett

Published April 2017, by Simon Pulse
I read The Anatomical Shape of A Heart by Jenn Bennett last May. It was a decent enough YA romance, but I heard that this one was supposed to be similar to the movie You've Got Mail, which is an adorable fricken movie that I watch around Christmas every year. If you remember one of my earlier posts I wanted to wait until I could get the UK cover which, in my opinion, is a little better than this one, however it's only available in paper back...you know how I feel about paperback. So I decided to get this hard back, it was on sale at Book Outlet, I was hoping to get it before the New Year....But I'm still waiting on it. I'm hoping that when this comes in I can read it in February.

4) Difficult Women by Roxane Gay

Published January 2017, by Grove Press
This is a collection of short stories about a variety of "difficult" women. I snagged this up a while ago, loving the cover and have just been putting it off for no particular reason, but I would like to get to it, again probably one I'll be picking up in February.

3) Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo

Published August 2017, by Random House Children's Books
Wonder Woman was hyped up this last summer, and even though I didn't see the movie I was still excited about the book. I'm a big DC Comics fan so to have a variety of author's creating this DC Icon's series is pretty cool. I picked this up and also have Batman: Nightwalker by Marie Lu, and I'd like to get this one before picking that one up.

2) The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

Published August 2015, by Hodder and Stoughton
This is another one I had been hearing nothing but good things about, I had finally picked it up over the summer, after much deliberation about which cover to get. It's just fallen at the waste side and I've been needing to pick it back up.

1) Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

Published September 2015, by Henry Holt and Company
I had meant to pick this one up in October, and just never did. I'm going to say it again, I've heard nothing but good things about this book. It had been catching my eye for a while before I bought it, I love the format, the black pages, the unique dark cover. I just am so worried it's been over hyped...

Have you read any of these books? what were your thoughts? I'd be interested in hearing them.

What books did you mean to read in 2017 that your putting at the forefront to read in 2018?

Let me know!

Litta

3 comments:

  1. As someone who adored the film, but has read very few DC comics, I really enjoyed Wonder Woman: Warbringer. While it's a different setting and there's new characters, Diana still feels like Diana.
    Hope you enjoy it when you get to it :)
    My Top 5 Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm aware of her origin story, but in terms of comics it's always Batman I grab for, so that's the one I'm really nervous about. But I'm glad to hear good things so far about Warbringer. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. i enjoyed both six of crows and alex approximately, i hope you'll enjoy it as much as i did!

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete