Monday, July 17, 2017

Nope. Book Tag

Today I'll be doing another tag, this one is called the Nope Book Tag created by Farah at A Booktube Book

As always questions will be at the bottom if you would like to do this yourself.

As always these responses are my opinion alone, if you have differing opinions than I do, then great, we're human. Please try not to be offended by my opinion and if you are I please ask that you leave.

1. Book Ending: a Book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage or simply because the ending was crappy.

I Am Radar by Reif Larson

Published March 2016, by Penguin Books
First off, cover love, otherwise this book was interesting and entertaining, but the ending. THE FUCKING ENDING! Did NOT answer a damn thing. It left soooo many loose ends I threw the damn book.

2.  Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy.

Gwen from Everland by Wendy Spinale

Published May 2016, by Scholastic Press


The book itself probably didn't help much but I found her and the story unbelievable and hard to connect with.

3. Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE after you invested all of that time and energy into it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn't worth it anymore.

The above could count for this as well but I'll choose another one.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children  by Ransom Riggs

Published June 2011, by Quirk
I finished the first book, and found it didn't live up to the hype. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with it...I lie, everyone found the photographs really cool and interesting, and yes although interesting I found them distracting and felt like it brought down the book a bit. Not going to be picking up the rest of them.

4. Popular Pairing: A "ship" you don't support.

Maribella and Joseph from Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake

Published September 2016, by Harper Teen
No, Joseph and Maribella. I. Can't. It makes me hate Maribella when I did feel sorry for her. I don't even know why, it's not like it was her fault. I hate Joseph because of it too, he can make up whatever excuses he wants just no!

5. Plot Twist: A plot twist you didn't see coming or didn't like.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

Published February 2017, by Grand Central Publishing
It was just one thing after another with this book. I expected hard times to fall on this family but what happened with Sunja's eldest son...So many tears, I had...just...ugh!

6. Protagonist action/decision: a character decision that made you shake your head NOPE.

The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Phillip Sendker


The fact Tin Win just went to this "uncle" so willingly ticked me off, same with when he didn't say anything about getting his sight fixed. There was nothing wrong with his life with Mi Mi why change it?! I had a fear that he'd lose his unique hearing abilities if he got his sight back.

7. Genre: a genre you will never read.

I don't think there's a genre I won't look at and reach for. Perhaps skeptically, but I wont say I'll never read a certain genre. My mood on books changes consistently so I may not reach for a genre today, doesn't mean I wont reach for it in a couple months.

8. Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition:

Mass production paperback. My boyfriend gets them and I just can't... I'm not a big fan of paperback in general, but I can hand like the floppy paper backs or the ones that aren't crazy cheap where I know I won't break the spine once I open the book.

Also another one I don't tend to go for right away is Audio, I get particular, biographies and memoirs, sure, it makes sense, other wise I listen and relisten to the sample before determining I want it. Same with Kindle/e-books. physical copies are just easier for me.

9. Trope: a trope that makes you go NOPE.

Under-qualified protagonist succeeding above overly qualified supporting characters- with this the under-qualified tends to be Caucasian who also happens to be "the chosen one" and just kind of skips to a finish line while the supporting characters are people of color who have worked all their lives to get their qualifications but they can't win with out the help of said random Caucasian protagonist.

Also love triangles, especially ones that don't make sense, like there's clearly one the protagonist should choose over the other because one is absolute shit, but they still ponder about it through the whole book to the point where I'm like "you know what if you're having this much trouble, you don't deserve the one you should obviously be choosing and I hope they deny your finicky ass."

10. Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you simply refuse to read.

I haven't had much pushed at me in my personal life. But on booktube people are really pushing for:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Published March 2005 by Knopf Books for Young Readers
Every other booktuber talks about this book, and I just have no interest. If a book gets too hyped or someone wont stop talking about it, I just wont pick it up. Mostly because you put too much hype into it and I no longer believe it will hold up to that hype.

11. Cliche/Pet peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.

This one feels similar to the tropes I dislike but: Beauty Blind: when a female protagonist describes herself as ugly when she's actually really pretty, or argues with family who says she's beautiful or can't understand why a love interest would find her attractive. Stop. Be body positive, and just say "thank you" 

also insta-love and the whole "bad ass brooding" guy becomes "even hotter" when he's being a brooding asshole.

12. Love Interest: The love interest that's not worthy of being one. A character you don't think should have been a viable love interest.

I feel terrible for saying this but I don't think Hermoine should have gotten with Ron. I liked the thought of her and Harry together for a bit, even though that one was a little obvious, and her and Krum...eh... I don't think Krum was the best for her intellectually, but just something else, either that she was happy just being single and having fun every now and then or maybe a lesbian? I feel like Hermoine just kind of deserves more and feel like Rowling just settled on Ron because of how much they've been through.

13. Book: A book that shouldn't exist.

I don't think a book concept shouldn't exist (to an extent) I may dislike Everland the the reason I picked it up to begin with was due to the interesting concept. How about a major re-write? Everland would be my answer


14. Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction.

Professor Dolores Umbridge from Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling


Movie or book, I don't want to mess with this character. If I lived in that world in the time in which she was a professor I'd be avoiding her like the plague.

Also I'm not sure if this counts or if it's considered "cheating" but Catherine from Heartless by Marissa Meyer.

Published November 2016 by Feiwil and Friends
The reason why I'm curious if it should count or if it's considered "cheating" is because in this book Catherine is the protagonist, but it's also an origin story for the Queen of Hearts from Alice's Adventure In Wonderland by Lewis Caroll. After reading what she "went through" by Marissa Meyer's view point, nope, wouldn't want to cross her path.

15. Death: The death of a character that still haunts you.

I mean aside from the obvious Harry Potter characters

The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neill

Published February 2017, by Riverhead Books
I can't say anything due to spoilers....but this...yup...

16. Author: An author you had a bad experience reading for and have decided to quit.

Jamie McGuire for this reason

Published May 2011, by Altria Books
This book. I don't understand why it has such a high average rating on good reads. This book made me feel sick. I never read the Twilight series but I've seen the movies and I know the gist that Edward Cullen and his relationship with Bella should not, I repeat, SHOULD NOT be romanticized, the same goes for Christian Grey and Anastasie Steele. This book takes that Edward Cullen/Christian Grey trope and gives it steroids, and takes away the vampiric "romance" and sexy-ness out of it. This book makes me re-think of books that should exist (obviously I forgot about it until now) The reason why I'm done with this author, is because this book is part of a series. It eludes me as to why....just why? I'm done and wash my hands of this.

Alright and that's the Nope. Book tag.

If you've done the questions either via blog or youtube video link it to me, I'd love to read/see it.

Until next time!

Litta



NOPE. Book Tag Questions:

1. NOPE. Ending: A book ending that made you go NOPE either in denial, rage, or simply because the ending was crappy. 

2. NOPE. Protagonist: A main character you dislike and drives you crazy. 

3. NOPE. Series: A series that turned out to be one huge pile of NOPE. after you’ve invested all of that time and energy on it, or a series you gave up on because it wasn’t worth it anymore. 

4. NOPE. Popular pairing: A “ship” you don’t support.

5. NOPE. Plot twist: A plot twist you didn’t see coming or didn’t like. 

6. NOPE. Protagonist action/decision: A character decision that made you shake your head NOPE. 

7. NOPE. Genre: A genre you will never read.

8. NOPE. Book format: Book formatting you hate and avoid buying until it comes out in a different edition

9. NOPE. Trope: A trope that makes you go NOPE. 

10. NOPE. Recommendation: A book recommendation that is constantly hyped and pushed at you that you simply refuse to read. 

11. NOPE. Cliche/pet peeve: A cliche or writing pet peeve that always makes you roll your eyes.

12. NOPE. Love interest: The love interest that’s not worthy of being one. A character you don’t think should have been a viable love interest.

13. NOPE. Book: A book that shouldn’t have existed that made you say NOPE. 

14. NOPE. Villain: A scary villain/antagonist you would hate to cross and would make you run in the opposite direction.

15. NOPE. Death: A character death that still haunts you.

16. NOPE. Author: An author you had a bad experience reading for and have decided to quit.

No comments:

Post a Comment