Monday, August 7, 2017

Book Lover Survival Tag

This tag has been getting popular on booktube due to Penguin Teen sponsoring videos to help promote a new release: A Map for Wrecked Girls by Jessica Taylor

Not sure what the book is about but the tag ultimately asks: If you could bring 5-8 books with you on a deserted island, which would you bring?

Now so far all videos that are doing this tag have listed a Harry Potter book. I am not going to be different in that fact, however, from what I've seen, no one has chosen the first one: The Philosopher's Stone or The Sorcerer's Stone. However this is my choice.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Published June 1997, by Scholastic Inc.
So this is my favorite, next to The Prisoner of Azkaban. But what I truly enjoy about this book is the wonderment and excitement that is Harry going to a wizarding school, getting his letter and meeting his new friends. The reason I chose this one is because of it's familiarity and it's hook. This is the first book in the series, the one that got me hooked and wanting to read more. The one that made me wish I had gotten a letter from Hogwarts when I was 11. It's like feeling a storm before it starts to rain. Smelling the seasons change before the weather starts to reflect it. It brings back that excitement and that anticipation. That is why this would be my number one pick.

My second book would be:

Soppy by Phillipa Rice

Published December 2014, by Andrews McMeel Publishing
 This is a graphic novel. And it shows the story of this couple going through everyday life: getting bills together, sleeping, cooking together, working, sleeping, arguing. It's incredibly simple in its are style but gets the point across with so little words. The context is clear, and it warms my heart.

My third book is:

Weirdo Noir by Matt Dukes Jordan

Published August 2010, by Chronicle Books
This book is a collection of several artists with examples of their low brow/gothic art. Low brow art is defined as "underground" "urban" art combined with mediums old masters like Di Vinci and Michelangelo would use. It's dramatic, highly detailed, and just odd, I love it, and I'd take it with me for inspiration and motivation from artists I truly love and admire.

Don't know if this would count, but my fourth book would be a sketch book

It is one of my favorite books, due to the fact I can spend hours upon hours sketching whatever comes to mind, and on a deserted island, and the previous book mentioned I think it'd be a good way to kill time.

And honestly, if this isn't considered cheating, for the four remaining slots, I'd pick four book I haven't read yet. I'm not too great when it comes to re-reading books. Re-reading Harry Potter hasn't been a thing yet. And I feel that's saying something...

Suppose I should pick out the four books....

Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser

Published June 2017, by Bloomsbury Children's Books
The main reason I'm choosing this one is because I'm eager to read it. I'm chomping at the bit as I finished reading my current read to get to this book. But I feel like there's a strong female protagonist who finds her way while protecting her family, and that in itself I feel like I could relate to.

Chemistry by Weike Wang

Published May 2017, by Knopf

I feel this is the same reason as the previous, a strong female protagonist who kind of has to separate herself from her current situation enable to truly understand who she is and what she wants out of life.

The next two are two I feel would just be interesting reads for the situation

How to Read Water by Tristan Gooley

Published April 2016, by Sceptre
You know...to get a better understanding of the element I'm surrounded by

The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart

Published March 2013, by Algonquin Books
So no...this one doesn't seem particularly helpful, but it was either this or a book on sea monsters and I figure that wouldn't help my situation. And I don't have a "how to identify plants" book or a "what fish are poisonous" book...So this I figured was the next best thing...and if anything I learn something interesting about plants that have created some of our liquors and hope I can hitch a ride with a passing yacht or cruise ship....

What books would you bring?

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment