Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Books Removed from My TBR

My TBR. If you don't know what that is, it stands for "To Be Read." I have two TBR's. There's my physical pile (literally) of books that I pick and choose which I want to read next (Approximately 100 in total), I would, eventually like to get to all of them. And there is my digital TBR, which is essentially my Goodreads Want to Read Bookshelf that contains about 550 books. I say about because there are occasionally duplicates.

Now with both of these I will go in about once a month and comb through physically and digitally books that I no longer find interesting and either sell them back or delete them. We're going to talk about some of those book today for the Top 5 Wednesday theme.



Books Removed from My TBR

These wont be in any particular order.

1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle


I go back and forth on this one. It had peaked my interest when I had seen the play in Ashland, OR years ago, then the movie recently came out, then I learned there are like four books in the series. The play was hard to wrap my head around, I heard the books are just as odd which makes me think I wont understand it. But maybe the play would help me visualize the complicated parts? I haven't seen the movie, not sure if I want to.....Very unsure, so this book often gets added then taken off quite often.

2. All the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn Greenwood


This was one of my first Book of the Month books, and I got it originally because I had heard it was a Beauty and the Beast re-telling and it sounded more entertaining than the other books available. However I have been hesitant to pick it up because I've learned more about it. That this book has a taboo relationship between a young girl (like 8?) and an older man (25?) which sceeves me out, as well as the male character is problematic in representation of Native Americans. But this book is supposedly beautifully written....I still own it, but it's hidden on the bottom of my pile.

3. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black


I heard tell that this one was what people had expected and wanted out of The Enchantment of Ravens. And that enticed me to want to pick this up. That and the hype. But the more people kept talking about it the more I was getting wary of it. I had a fear of it becoming over hyped and me just hating it. And with the sequel coming out in January but it's ARC's (Advanced Reader Copies) getting distributed now, it's stirring things up again. I may add this in the future, when the series is done and the hype has died down, but for now, I'm keeping this book at a distance.

4. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


I had this on my TBR for the longest time, but I kept making excuses not to get it. I don't think I ever really knew what it was about. For some reason if I was going to get this book it was going to be hard cover (my favorite) and not the movie cover and just couldn't find it anywhere. Pretty sure it's just because I liked the though of the whole series together in hard back. But honestly, at this point, I don't care and just took it off.

5. Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley


I enjoyed the cover of this for a minute. But after a while I think I just kind of got tired of YA romance. I still kind of feel that way, but I'm hoping, beyond hope that I could get back into it and find a book that is written well. That's all I think it is, is that I haven't been able to read a YA romance that was written well enough for me to overlook the tropes and cliches. I have not read this one. Just took it of my TBR because I was tired of finding YA romance in my TBR.


And those are the five books that I could think of off the top of my head, there have definitely been more. Let me know what books you decided you just weren't into any more or just couldn't get into. It'll be interesting to see. And be sure to check out others' blogs/channels to see if they had similar disinterests as you (I definitely found it interesting)

Until next time!

Litta

2 comments:

  1. I pretty well loathe anything sci fi, but please, please, please don't give up on Wrinkle in Time. Just keep putting it off till that "right" moment. I was almost 50 when I first read it--finally the RIGHT moment. Interesting selections this week.

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2018/07/18/top-ten-tuesday-books-ive-decided-im-no-longer-interested-in-reading-2/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have The 5th Wave on my tbr too, but I heard the series went downhill and I'm not a fan of aliens in general, so I removed it.

    Tasya // The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete