Friday, August 18, 2017

Getting Through a Reading Slump

I realize I haven't posted in a while. The same goes to the youtube channel.

After the Booktubeathon I got in a kind of slump.

I kept hearing that other's didn't want to push themselves too hard and did they're tbr pile for this read a thon accordingly so they wouldn't get burnt out. I thought, with how small the books I was reading were, it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Right after the booktubeathon I though "alright, I'll read at my own pace" and started working on Eldest, the second book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini


Now I've been trying to read this for a while. I started ....only in May? I say only because I thought it was further than that.

But when I picked this back up again I thought "read at my own pace and read a tome." which seemed appropriate because Tome-Topple was just a week or so after Booktubeathon. Tome Topple is another read a thon that goes for two weeks and you have to read tomes. So books over 500 pages. Eldest ends at 668. So I read it for a good while, thinking I didn't want to read anything else until I finished this book. I knew it would still take me a bit, I'm not a speed reader nor can I skim with the intention of remembering everything. I was 4 books ahead of schedule on my good reads challenge, this should be no problem.

But as August continued, my reading of Eldest was getting slower and slower, to the point where I hadn't read in 3 days. I started getting discouraged. I didn't want to come back on here with another book tag with no new books to be able to answer with, and I didn't want to edit any videos for you tube if I was in a rut.

I do this every so often. Get so into a subject it consumes me for a good while, then with in a couple weeks or even days, I'm over it, and want to move on to the next thing. I've done this with books before. I'll get really into reading for a couple weeks, then start knitting and justify that because I don't have two more arms I can't read and knit. Remember I didn't find audio books until recently. And I kept thinking, I could just get an audio book and knit....I could still do that.

But I wasn't happy with it, anytime I went through Audible I wouldn't come across anything that truly peaked my interest enough to want to buy and audio book but not so much that I didn't want the physical copy.

So one day I just decided to put Eldest down before I started resenting it. Before this book became a chore. and picked up just something I was feeling. I tried Song of the Current by Sarah Tolcser


This was one of my post anticipated books, I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. But after reading the first page, I shut the book, made a funny face and realized I didn't want to read this right now. But I was fearful that I was just done with books for the time being.

So I gave myself a little break. And started to sketch.

I love books, but I'm an artist at heart. I had been in a sketching slump since I graduated college. Telling myself I was taking a well deserved "break" yet still didn't want to post on here, despite it being called "Scribbled Inks" for the sheer purpose of being able to talk about books and art.

Anyways, I sketched. I bought a new sketchbook and new microns and I just let my mind wonder through ideas, and when I got started I let myself go through the process of sketching, inking, shadow and detail. It was great to get back into and great for the mind.

Plus not a bad sketch after four months.


This was a great get away from books. and afterwards I was able to go into my room and pick up a book I had recently bought and read it with in a couple of days. It sucked. I'm not going to lie, I was fairly disappointed with this book but I got through it and was able to pick up another one I knew I wanted to read right then, and that one was better. (give reviews at the end of the month)

I don't like creating tbrs, but I did have a goal to read certain books with in the month of August and am kind of dissapointed that I know I wont be getting to them. But I'm not holding it against myself. Mostly because I don't reveal them to you. If I do that, then I feel like I have to abide by what I said. But my moods change, I buy a lot of books with the intention of reading them then and there but that can fade, but I know I'll have that feeling again and be able to want to read it again. And hopefully with in that time it's when I can pick it up and give it ago.

Hopefully I'll have a youtube video up soon. It's quite late, and you've already seen it on my posts here, my July Haul.

Otherwise, whether it's reading or sketching I'll talk to you soon

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment