Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Monthly Recs: Books I am Thankful For

So this is going to be a first and I think it will adhere to some interesting content. Forgive me if these continue on and I just don't have enough to put into the post, as I realize I do need and want to read more content.

Monthly Recommendations is a Goodreads group found Here by Trina from the book-tube channel Between Chapters and Kayla from the book-tube channel KaylaRayne

Monthly Recommendations basically just gives you themes to give book recommendations each month. And with November comes the theme: Books You are Thankful for.

The first book/series I am thankful for is: A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket



Why? Its a unique story, but also because it's a series that I was challenged to read. My mom got me the first three books in the series in promise that I would read at least the first three before the movie with Jim Carrey came out. I did, plus more, and she took my brother's and I to see it in theaters where I proceeded to point out everything that was wrong. This book helped me realize I am not one to read a book then see the movie adaptation but rather watch the movie then read the book. But this series also just started getting me into series as a whole in elementary school. Just in time for middle school where I am thankful for these two oddities on the list.



Fruits Basket by Natsuki Takaya and Tokyo Mew Mew by Mia Ikumi

...yeah these came out of left field. No I haven't picked them up since 2003, but they're still dear to me. I am thankful for these two manga series because it got me closer to my two best friends that I am lucky to still have today. And oddly these books kind of fit them perfectly. I don't own these two any more but I always regretted giving them up. My friends and I were a bit obsessed with anime and manga in middle school. We'd crush over guys in manga and anime, write fan fiction....yeah you know just a bit obsessed. We'd all meet up early in the morning in the library and read in the corner by the heater. I am thankful for these books to help me build the foundation of my friendships.

I don't think anyone has left out J.K. Rowling, and I'm not about to start:

Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling



I read the Hunger Games before I read Harry Potter. I watched Twilight before I read Harry Potter. I watched Harry Potter before I read Harry Potter. But despite my late decent into the books, I still hold them dear. I'm a proud Huffle-claw/Raven-puff. And although I think J.K. Rowling can and should just stop and just do a re-release every ten/twenty years, I love the constant development. No I don't want her to re-write the series from Snape's perspective. No I don't want her to right a new series focusing on the Marauders. But I enjoy reading the back stories to characters I wish were a little more present in the books in Pottermore. I enjoy hearing how she came up with Quidditch in a pub. I don't feel like Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was necessary. Yes I enjoy, no it's not needed. Yes I could have lived with out it. I am Thankful for Harry Potter's World, and letting me escape as I entered college.

And I'm Thankful for Neil Gaiman







I had liked Neil Gaiman for Coraline a couple years ago but wasn't sure about any of his other books at the time. Until my youngest brother had suggested Norse Mythology on Audio. I was hooked. Not just with Neil Gaiman's voice, but his stories, his characters. I am thankful for Neil Gaiman's imagination, creativity and writing. For taking me across the United States to other world's with him.

What books are you thankful for this November?

Until next time

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment