Sunday, December 3, 2017

November Review

I'm going to try not to think too much on why I only read two books again for the month....or the fact that I seemed to finish them on the same days that I finished the two books I read in October...

I am one book behind in terms of the Around the Year in 52 books goodreads challenge.

But again not going to worry about it, because, this isn't a competition, we all have lives, and it's not always easy to read a lot of books, especially as we approach the holidays....though somehow it seemed easier last year.

The books I read this month were:

Scythe by Neil Shusterman

Published November 2016, by Simon Schuster books for Young Readers

This book is about a world where disease, hunger, war and misery have been vanquished. Science has been able to find ways to rid death. Due to this, there is no longer any government. Instead the world is made safe by the Thunderhead. An evolved version of the cloud that has gained it's own consciousness. To keep population control in check there is the Scythedom. An order in which people are chosen and go under apprenticeships to "glean" (kill) people enable to keep the population numbers down. Citra and Rowan are chosen for an apprenticeship with the Scythedom. But neither of them want it, but if they fail it could have some deadly consequences.

I had been excited about the concept of this book, but it was one of those ones where I was excited when it came out, but didn't buy it right away, then more books came out, I was still interested but it wasn't my priority. My boyfriend had heard about it and wanted to get it. I finally bought it, he read it and kept bugging me to read it. I finally picked it up, and I'm really happy I did.

Citra and Rowan were interesting characters with each their own individual identity and personalities and it was interesting to follow them as they entered the apprenticeship and how that effected their personalities and their moral stability. In a way though toward the middle of the book, I started thinking of Rowans point of view like Peeta's point of view that we never got from the Hunger Games.... I don't know if that makes sense at all. I kept thinking that towards the end Rowan would end up being morally corrupted and go after Citra. I don't know if I'm disappointed or not that that didn't happen.

In the beginning I found I enjoyed Rowan more than Citra then towards the end I enjoyed Citra more than Rowan, which I found interesting.

This book was interesting as it lent itself more politically and the corruption of politics and people than anything, which, again, was interesting but not what I expected really...but I can't really say what I expected.

four out of five stars

The next book I read was:

The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld

Published September 2017, by Harper

Child Finder is about Naomi. She's a private investigator that searches for missing children. Having had a complex childhood herself, she feels a calling to try and find missing children. Three years ago Madison Culver was lost in the high mountains of Oregon in a snow storm. Now her parents seek Naomi to find her. But there's something different about this case. Naomi starts remembering more and more about her childhood and the trauma that she was blocking out since she was saved. Is it the case? Is it the area? All is unknown as she tries to retrace Madison's foot steps in the deadly icy forest.

I had picked this book up on a whim at Costco and thought it'd be a really good read as we head towards winter. It was chilling, both in terms of a mystery as well as environment. Naomi was a complex character and it was interesting to get more and more of her past as the book went on. All the while we get Madison Culver's point of view after she is lost in the mountains of Oregon, which was interesting and helpful to the story but the issue I was having was that because Naomi's having flash back of her child hood, with Madison's POV, it became hard to distinguish at times, perhaps if they were separated by chapters?

Over all four out of five stars. I did enjoy this, the ending wrapped everything up nicely for the most part....I still wanted to know if Naomi officially got with Jerome and wanted to know the conclusion about her finding her sister...but, over all, not bad.

Alright that's it for the month of November! Let me know if you read either of these and let me know your thoughts. What books did you read for November?

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment