Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Top Five Wednesday: Best of 2017

Everyone have their holiday shopping done? Less than a week and counting...

I think I have everything....nearly....just a couple more things to get and wrap and I should....should be good. Let's hope.

This week's Top Five Wednesday is our top five books of 2017

Before I get into my countdown, I'd like to list off some honorable mentions that didn't quite make the cut but I still wish to acknowledge:

Swimming Lessons by Claire Fuller


This book was one of my first books from Book of the Month, and I chose it kind of dishearteningly thinking I was choosing the best one in a bunch of books I didn't really want. But the synopsis interested me despite how much I didn't like the cover.

Ingrid Coleman writes letters to her husband, Gil, but instead of giving them to him she leaves them with in the pages of his many many books he's collected over the years. Her letters shed light on their marriage. When the last letter is written Ingrid disappears from a Dorset beach, leaving behind her beautiful but dilapidated house on the beach, her husband, and their two daughters, Flora and Nan. Twelve years pass and Gil thinks he's sees Ingrid outside a bookshop. But he's getting older and this unlikely sighting is presumed senility. Flora has never believed her mother drowned, so when she returns to care for her father she tries to figure out the mystery behind her mom's disappearance. Not knowing that the answers or lodged in the books around the house.

This book was just very complex, I found myself feeling sorry for Ingrid, mad at Flora, and irritated with Gil as his and Ingrid's marriage came to light after each of her letters.  

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman translated by Henning Koch


I've talked about this one before. It was one of the first audio books I listened to and I adored it.

Elsa is seven and different. Her grandmother, seventy-seven and crazy but she's Elsa's best and only friend. At night Elsa takes refuge in her grandmother's stories in the land of Almost-Awake and the Kingdom of Miamas where everyone is different and no one needs to be normal. When Elsa's grandmother dies, a series of letter are left for Elsa to find, apologizing to everyone she's wronged, this will be Elsa's biggest adventure yet, exposing the truth of the Almost-Awake and the Kingdom of Miamas.

The narration of this book sold it, in all honesty, it got a little troubling at times as Elsa and her grandmother occasionally had the same tone, but otherwise I absolutely loved it. The perspective of this seven year old is endearing and magical.


Now into my top five book of 2017


5) Words on Bathroom Walls by Julia Walton


Adam is diagnosed with Schizophrenia. He hears and sees people who aren't really there. With a new trial drug Adam starts fresh at a new school, hoping to keep his diagnoses a secret. As he begins to make new friends the trial drug isn't working as it should, and he's taken off the drug, but Adam is still determined to keep his secret.

I haven't read any books on or about schizophrenia. Because I don't have it or know anyone with it I can't say for certain if this is a good representation, but I feel like it is....if that's not too presumptuous. Right off the bat the author illustrates Schizophrenia and says what it's not vs what it is. I came to want to protect Adam. The book was also interestingly formatted with letters from Adam to his therapist which lends to an interesting perspective.

4) American War by Omar El Akkad


Sarat Chestnut was born in Louisiana. She's six when the second civil war breaks out over the United States. Oil is outlawed, half of Louisiana is underwater, and unmanned drones fly through the air with the possibility of dropping explosives at any moment. When Sarat's father is killed, she and her family are moved to Camp Patience, a refugee camp for displaced people, but not everyone there is as they seem. Sarat befriends a mysterious functionary, who under his influence, Sarat begins to turn into a deadly instrument. Every decision she makes will have tremendous consequences not just for Sarat, but for her family, her friends, her countrymen and kin alike.

This book was intense. It takes place over the course of a couple years starting in 2072 and in all honesty it doesn't feel too far away from the truth. Sarat was a complex character that I could never tell if I liked or disliked but her story was heartbreaking and an eye opener.

3) Pachinko by Min Jin Lee


Pachinko is a generational story that ends up following Sunja, the daughter of a poor but proud family who's unexpected pregnancy threatens to shame them all. Left by her lover Sunja is saved by a tubercular minister who offers to marry her and take her to Japan.

We then follow her life, the life of her two sons and their struggle through exile.

For a while I thought the only historical fiction books I liked were that dealing with World War II, and even though this kind of deals with that it's part of a conflict I never new about, and helped shed some light on. The fact it's fiction makes it no less real to me as the author did her homework. Again I hope this isn't presumptuous, as I'm not Korean nor do I have Korean friends, so I can't say for sure if this is a good representation. But the references and families this author talked to. And the family of the book itself. I kept rooting for them and every time, something would happen that would make my heart break for them.

2) The Lonely Hearts Hotel by Heather O'Neal


I talked about this one a lot when I first started this blog about half a year ago. But I still hold it close.

This book follows Rose and Perot, both orphans in Canada during the Great Depression. In the orphanage they have a dream to make a circus together, as they travel from house to house in the upper class neighborhoods to perform. Perot playing the piano and Rose dancing. But as they are suddenly separated and have to live their lives apart from one another, they never let go of the dream they had.

I don't know how to accurately describe this book. It's historical fiction, its magic realism, it has triggers for rape, drugs, and abuse. It was not a book I expected but I adore it.

1) American Gods by Neil Gaiman


I'll never grow tired of mentioning this book.

Shadow is just let out of jail. Shadow just wants to live in peace with his wife Laura. But Laura and Shadow's best friend are found dead. A mysterious man, who knows more than he should about Shadow, offers Shadow a job. Mr. Wednesday is what the man want's to be called. A con artist who want's Shadow to be his bodyguard, his driver, his errand boy, should be easy, shouldn't it? But the job is more dangerous than Shadow ever imagined. A storm is brewing, an epic war for the very soul of America, and Shadow is in it's path.

Another one I listened to on Audio book. I always thought Coraline was going to remain my favorite of Neil Gaiman's but no. This one....if you get the chance listen to the ten year release full cast of this audio book. I never noticed Ian McShane before now. The book was fun, intense, interesting, insightful, thought provoking, just....I can't give it enough praise.

And that is my list of the best books of 2017

have you read any of the ones I've listed? What's on your own list? I'd love to know!

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment