Friday, December 8, 2017

November Haul

Not too bad of a haul for November actually. My boyfriend is still looking at me like:





Well let's get on with it then.

Iron Cast by Destiny Soria

Published October, 2016, By Harry N. Abrams

This book is set in 1919 and follows Ada Navarra, a daughter of immigrants, and Corrine Wells, a devil may care heiress. They are an unlikely pair, but together their "afflicted" blood they are able to create illusions through art, weave magic under the employment of Johnny Dervish, club owner and notorious gangster. On stage at night together, by day Ada and Corrine use the same skills to con the city's elite to help keep the club afloat. But when Ada is arrested she realizes they are on the precipice of danger. Only Corrine can break her out of the Haversham Asylum, facing betrayal at every turn.

I saw this cover at Barns and Noble last spring. But instead of picking this one up I picked up The Lonely Hearts Hotel, and we know how that turned out (love it!) But this cover is striking and I haven't been able to let it go. So I finally snagged it up.

These next few I got from Book Outlet

The first being:

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Published June 2002 by Harper Torch

This book follows Shadow, who, after getting released from jail, just wants to live a peaceful quiet life with his wife. But after he finds out she's dead he's recruited as a personal assistant to Mr. Wednesday, who's not an ordinary con-artist, and knows much more about Shadow than is possible. There's a bigger storm coming, Mr Wednesday warns.

I talk about this book quite a lot, if not on here, then in person. I love it. I listened to it on audio back in June and wanted a physical copy. I was so excited that not only did Book Outlet have it, but they had it in hardback!!

House of Many Ways by Dianna Wynne Jones

Published June 2008, By Greenwillow Books

So it wasn't until I looked at goodreads that I realized that this is the third book in the series....I need the second as I haven't read it yet....So I'm just going to tell you the synopsis of the first.

Sophia is the eldest of three, a grave mistake as she'll fail miserably if she ever leaves her home to seek he fate. But when she unwittingly attracts the attention of the Witch of the Waste, she get's cursed by a spell that turns her into and old lady. Her only chance to break this spell is to seek the moving castle in the hills. The wizard who lives there is Howl, a heartless womanizer that Sophie has to handle as she strikes a deal with a fire demon and face the Witch of the Waste head on. Along the way she finds out there's more to Howl and herself than she had originally thought.

So if you know Studio Ghibli, then I'd hope you know Howl's Moving Castle all too well. Yes it's the same story line, and what I found was that the book and the movie help each other. I saw the movie first and found it a bit confusing in areas. While with the book I found it a little hard to imagine with out some of the movie clips. So they differently helped each other out. The book leaned on the creepier side of things as the Witch of the Waste and Turnip-Head were a bit more grotesque than those represented in the movie, but I still enjoyed it. And hopefully I can find the second book and finish the series.

The Complete Tales of Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne and illustrated by Ernest H. Shepard

Published October 1996, By Dutton Children's Books

This I got for my niece for Christmas. I never quite know how long Book Outlet is going to take in terms of shipping (a bit better than Book Depository) so I wanted to make sure I got this as soon as I saw it available. It's the complete works as it said. And I'm hoping I don't have to go into who Winnie the Pooh is to this crowd....you know what, google is your friend.

The next two I got from Book of the Month

My pick for the month was:

The Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich

Published November 2017, By Harper

The world is ending. Evolution is running backwards as women give birth to infants who appear to be a primitive species of human. Martial Law is in order, Congress are confining pregnant women, registering them and rewarding those turning them in. In Cedar's adoptive parent's home town, street names are changing to Bible verses. She's watching family's be wretched a part as they take custody of mothers. Cedar is four months pregnant, and her adoptive parents don't know. She wants to find her birth mother as she's becoming a mother herself, wanting to understand both her and her baby's origins. Cedar goes back to her biological beginnings as society is crumbling, fueled by panic at the end of humanity.

This books sounds intense. One thing that interested me was that Cedar's birth mother is Ojibwe and I was curious to see how that played into the story.

My extra book for this month was:

Uncommon Type: Some Stories by Tom Hanks

Published October 2017, By Alfred A. Knopf

I don't know jack about this book, aside that it's filled with stories written by Tom Hanks....That's good enough for me.

My Uppercase book of the moth was:

Rosemarked by Livia Blackburne

Published November 2017, By Disney-Hyperion

I hadn't heard of this at all

Zivah has fallen prey to the deadly rose plague. As a healer, she knows nothing can be done and it's only a matter of time before it over takes her. She's put into isolation, away from those she cares for, unable to practice her skill. Until a threat to her village creates a need only she can fill.

Dineas will have his revenge on the Amparan Empire, against his captors. Now escaped and reunited with his tribe he will do anything to free them from Amparan rule, even is his plan not only takes his life but his very self.

Thrust on a high stakes mission to spy the two couldn't be more different. Zivah deeply devoted to healing, Dineas set on vengeance. But their mission forces them to find a common ground enable to save those they love. Amidst the common feat of discovery the two grapple with mutual attraction that could break their carefully guarded hearts.

Sound interesting enough.

Phasma: Journey to Star Wars the Last Jedi by Delilah S. Dawson

Published September 2017, by Del Rey

This one my boyfriend actually pointed out to me when we went for a visit to Northtown. As much as I would have liked to buy it then and there and support my local businesses....$30 is a bit much, so I found it online for a bit less.

This book is about Captain Phasma's mysterious past, one of the most cunning and merciless officers of the first order. She commands the favor of her superiors and the respect of her peers and the terror of her enemies, but remains virtually unknown. Until an adversary seeks to uncover her origins, a secret she guards as ruthlessly as she serves her masters.

The last book I've actually had for a while, it's just changed hands a couple of times, and I finally have it back, and that's:

IT by Stephen King

Published September 1986, By Viking Penguin

So I have an old worn hardback version of this that was my aunt's. I remember my mom....not sure if she really gave it to me or loaned it, but I got it sometime in middle school. I remember trying to read it but couldn't get into it, and with the new movie out, and the new book cover released, I felt like I should maybe look into picking it up again.

I've watched the original movie before, I think the current movie adaptation just recently stopped being played in theaters but I heard it was good. Not so much scary but good.

Alright those are the books I got for the month of November.

Let me know if you read any of these and what your thoughts were.

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment