Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The Quintessential Summer Book Tag

Middle of Summer! I have to say it feels like it's longer now that I know I don't have school in August. Still planning camping trips despite coming back from one. It's a good feeling I have to say. I feel like I'm squeezing all the summer I can get.

For this Tag Tuesday I'm doing the:

 Quintessential Summer Book Tag!
Pixel77
I really should start doing my own art for this blog...But I saw this and thought it was adorable.

This tag was created by Kat at the youtube channel The Bookish Kat

1) Iced Drink: A refreshing book

I enjoy lemon iced tea or limeade personally, as for a refreshing book I'd have to go with

Everything All At Once by Katrina Leno


God I hate this cover. But the story was really refreshing in that (and I've talked about it before for this reason) there's no miscommunication or the lack of communication. There is a great family dynamic in this book that was really enjoyable.

2) Cotton Candy: A book that was fluffy and sweet

Can't say for sure I know what "fluffy" is referring to...

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman


This was over all a really sweet and enjoyable book. A bit sad but over all very endearing.

3) Sunglasses: A dark book

Lets go with a recent read

Horns by Joe Hill


Guy grows horns and starts having people tell him what sins they want to commit while trying to figure out who raped and murdered his girlfriend...pretty dark.

4) Picnic on a Rainy Day: A sad book

I feel as though I'm the only one that strives to have picnics in the rain...I don't think it's sad, I love it.

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan


I've said before and I'll say again there were multiple themes in this book that hit close to home for me, to the point where I was sobbing in the middle of the night.

5) Sand: A book that irritated you

Oh goody...which one should I choose? Let's go with one I haven't talked about in a while.

Everland by Wendy Spinale


This was an attempted steampunk meets dystopian retelling of Peter Pan that I feel failed miserably. Nothing was believable, I disliked the insta-love and was disappointed with the villain. And somehow it's still getting talked about in a positive way. Mind you, I understand that this is my own opinion, but I just don't understand how everyone loves this book.

6) Summer Blockbuster: A favorite book-to-screen adaptation

I've been wanting to get more into these, and so far the books I'm picking up we don't own the movies for (which if you know my family and movies...it's weird that we don't own something) But I have to say hands down favorite, I loved the book and the movie equally is:

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness


Both the movie and the book were heart breaking and both made my cry so hard. The movie I thought was done beautifully, I loved when the Monster told his stories, the animation was beautiful and the stories themselves had morally grey characters that I didn't expect.

7) Dropped Ice Cream: A book you were anticipating, but it wasn't good

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang


I liked the idea and the representation, but really just felt like certain aspects of it were poorly written.

8) Palm Tree: A tall book you loved

Do you mean physically tall? Or did you mean it metaphorically that it was intimidating at first but I ended up loving it? *watches video* ....nope you meant this literally........Lucky this book works for both.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee


This was in my Book of the Month subscription sometime last year, and their books tend to be slightly taller than average size. This was also almost 500 pages so it was a little intimidating, but I flew through it.

9) Bonfire: A book you want to burn

Of course I don't support book burning, and I wouldn't say that this is an accurate way in which to get rid of certain books, rather re-write them completely or don't support them so we don't get anymore books like it.

Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire


I'll let you know right now, I'm not a fan of reading about gambling. I don't mind the "bad boy" trope, but this book just combined those two, stuck them in a rusted out trailer, shook it up until everyone was in a bad mood, plunked it next to some rural college town and called it a romance. I haven't read this book in years, but the one thing that sticks out the me is the main character getting the love interests name tattooed across her stomach to prove she loves him, then is willing to bet their first born. How this book has a 4.13 average rating on Goodreads and is on multiple lists of "best fictional Boyfriend" is beyond me. The love interest in this has a temper so foul it makes Christian Grey look tame.

10) Fireworks: A book that exploded onto the scene

That I've read? Recently?
I haven't read this popular book that has been getting a lot of hype lately, and is the most recent (aside from The Kiss Quotient) hyped book that I'm aware of.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


This is on my TBR, it's been getting quite the hype lately (for the past six months) I hear it's good in that is has good people of color rep, as well as bi-sexual rep. Hope to read it before summer is over.

Alright and that is the Quintessential Summer Book Tag

Let me know if you've done this tag and what book you'd want to "burn" (but you know not really cuz that's bad...hmm k)


Until next time!

Litta


No comments:

Post a Comment