Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag - 2018

We're half way through the year...already....I'm actually not as shocked by this as I feel like I once was....Maybe not being in school doesn't make it so much of shock anymore?

Anyway I'm ready summer shenanigans to begin; camping, river swims, and very mild sun burns (oh please let them be mild if they have to be there at all!)

Before I get into this tag I'd like to look at my over all goals and challenges for this year and see where I am.

In terms of my Goodreads Reading goal of reading 60 book in the year of 2018. By this time I should be at 30 books read. I am pleased to say I am at 32. Goodreads says I am 4 books ahead of schedule...I'm just going to roll with that.

For they 52 books around the Year challenge in which I read 52 books that pertain to the 52 challenges that coincide with the 52 weeks in a year I should be at 26 challenges completed. I have completed 24 challenges and in progress with 1. That's not as bad as I had expected in all honesty. It's probably the best I've done with in the three years I've been doing this challenge.

Genres:

7 - Graphic Novels
2 - Middle Grade
3 - Children's
2 - Short Story Collection
1 - Horror-Bizzaro Fiction
2 - Paranormal Fantasy
2 - Sci-fi
3 - Contemporary
1 - Romance
1 - Literary Fiction
3 - Historical Fiction
2 - Non Fiction
1 - YA Sci-fi
1 - YA Magic Realism
1 - YA Fantasy
2 - YA Contemporary

Star Ratings

0 - 1 Star
5 - 2 Stars
9 - 3 Stars
13 - 4 Stars
7 - 5 Stars

Average Star Rating: 3.65

Otherwise I know I haven't been keeping up on reviews or book/adaptation reviews, but I'm also of the mind set that I shouldn't push myself for fear of hating it. I am also aware that if I don't push myself I'm going to get lazy with it as I have been. So hopefully I'll pick that back up in this second half of the year.

So let's get into The Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag. Created by youtubers: Chami and Ely

I've also done this on youtube as-well so if you would prefer to hear my voice rather than imagine it I'll place that link right HERE.

I'm going to leave the questions down below in case anyone wants to do this yourself.

Alright here we go:

1. Best book you've read so far in 2018?

Circe by Madeline Miller



Second year that my favorite book for this tag is an Audio book, second time it's about gods....I enjoy stories about gods, what can I say. You'll see this again in my June Review. But ultimately I just loved this book, Madeline Miller wrote it very elegantly and the narration by Petra Weeks was just....creamy butter to my years, she was Circe in that she narrated the book in a way that was strong, full of command, but there was a shyness to it, a humble attitude, forgiving. It made the story real.


2. Best sequel You've read so far in 2018?

Giant Days Vol. 3 by John Alliston


I haven't read a whole lot of sequels and this series is pretty much the extent of sequels I have read an enjoyed.

3. New release you haven't read yet but want to?

The Apocalypse of Elena Mendoza by Sean David Hutchinson



This book came out earlier this year (like February) I'm still excited for it, I want to read his other work before this one however as it's part of the same universe and has some cameo's referenced.

Dread Nation by Justine Ireland



This one was released earlier this June and has an interesting premise in that it was inspired by Pride and Prejudice and Zombies in that white women wouldn't have been the ones fighting a zombie apocalypse but rather African Americans and Native Americans would have been sent to fight in order to protect Caucasians. I have heard that their is a lack of Native American rep  considering the premise, so that makes me hesitant, but only slightly I'm still wanting to read this.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year?

City of Ghosts by Victoria Schwab



This book follows Cassidy Blake, who's parent's are ghost hunters who are invited to Scottland for a TV show. Cassidy goes with her best friend Jacob, who is a ghost. Yes Cassidy can very much see ghosts, and finds out there is quite a few of them in Scottland. But Cass isn't the only one. She meets Lara who tells Cass that as an "in-betweener" it's their job to send ghosts back beyond the veil. Cass isn't so sure about this new mission, but there are a few ghosts that she feels don't belong in her world.

This gave me Danny Phantom vibes so I'm hyped about that. Though if the answers to this next question give any lessons to learn it's that I can't go into a book thinking it's one thing because I get disappointed. So I'm cautiously optimistic. But it over all sounds entertaining.


5. Biggest Disappointment?


Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett



This one was just so hyped about being compared to You've Got Mail that I was expecting something different that what got delivered.  Plus there were details beyond that that this book irritated me with.

Phasma by Delilah S. Dawson



Again I feel like I was a bit mislead. I was expecting more Star Wars space action and just received something completely different. It was still a decent book I just didn't get what I had originally wanted form it.

6. Biggest Surprise?

Educated by Tara Westover



I went into this not knowing what to expect, and with that was surprised by how much I admired this book. It took me a little bit to get through because of how intense some of the topics brought up were, but I over all enjoyed this book.

7. Favorite new author (debut or new to you)?


I don't normally like choosing a favorite author until I've read more than one of their books and actually like them, however, since this is a favorite new author I'd have to go with Madeline Miller. I don't have any intention on reading The Song of Achilles but anything else she puts out I will give a go because I enjoyed Circe immensely.

8. Newest fictional crush?

Couldn't say I have one.

9. Newest favorite character?

Stella Lane from Helen Hoang's The Kiss Quotient. She's a very powerful character that has so much growth in this book I absolutely loved her. Everything else in the book fell flat for me and there for was a bit of a disappointment.

10. Book that made you cry?


The Astonishing Color of After by Emily XR Pan



This book touched me emotionally in multiple ways in the topics discussed: Suicidal family member, Feeling outside your culture, Art being viewed as a "hobby" not a profession. And this book did a great job in focusing in on these topics and making them stand out with out making it take over the book and some of the conflicts of these topics and how the main character processed them had me tear up because they felt all too familiar to me.

11. Book that made you happy?

Moonstruck Vol. 1: Magic to Brew by Grace Ellis and Shaa Beagle


The art, the representation, and the diversity in the book just over all made me so happy to read this book not to mention the setting.

12. Favorite book to film adaptation you saw this year.

Haven't seen any yet this year, plan to, just haven't yet.

13. Favorite review you've written this year.

My January Book/Movie Adaptation Review ...so I realized this should have been my answer for 12, but here's why it's not. I grew up watching Practical Magic, I only just read the book this year, so I'm not counting it. But I was really happy about my process for this review.

14. Most beautiful book you've bought or received this year?

What Should be Wild by Julia Fine



Picked this up from Barnes and Noble a couple of days ago and just love the composition and depth of this cover.

The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar


I had seen this cover on a youtube video and thought it was gorgeous, and thought the premise interesting enough to buy the book online. When I opened the package I was astounded by how much better this cover looks in person and was just blown away by all the detail. The dust cover is only half of it, the inner pages are just marvelous.

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

Brisingr by Chrisopher Paolini



ugh last year it was Eldest....I swear I'll get through this series....

Aside form that one I don't feel any real "need" to read specific books by the end of the year.

Check out the YouTube video!

Alright I think that's it. I'll leave the list of questions for you. Let me know if you do this, i'd like to read them.

Until Next time!
Litta


Mid-Year Book Freak Out questions

1. Best book you’ve read so far in 2015. 
2. Best sequel you've read so far in 2015.
3. New release you haven't read yet, but want to.
4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
5. Biggest disappointment.
6. Biggest surprise.
7. Favourite new author. (Debut or new to you)
8. Newest fictional crush.
9. Newest favourite character.
10. Book that made you cry.
11. Book that made you happy.
12. Favorite book to film adaptation you saw this year.
13. Favorite review you've written this year.
14. Most beautiful book you've bought so far this year (or received)
15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?

No comments:

Post a Comment