Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Tag Tuesday: Spring Cleaning Book Tag

Its SPRING!!!




And with it being Tuesday you get a Tag

One thing I'd like to mention though is: I made another Video! What!?

I'm trying again. Booktubeathon 2017 was just overwhelming for me, and just so much pressure I don't understand how people can do it. But I decided to try again and have to keep telling myself that it's just for me. If people view it and like it, awesome. Otherwise don't freak out that you didn't get a video up on time. Which I have a feeling i'm going to have some issues with. My video editing software is Adobe Premiere Pro CC, and despite that I'm just editing an i phone video, exporting takes about 20 minutes, which I feel isn't bad (if it is someone let me know and how to make it better) but uploading it to youtube, take literally HOURS. It took 5 last night. I understand it could be my internet connection, I understand it's the size of the video but for a compressed video 24 minutes long it should do that right? at 1500 MG? can I get the size lower? how? because jeebus.

Alright let's just get into the tag after that rant...

The Spring Cleaning book tag was created by booktuber Jen over at Book Syrup

Questions:

1. The struggle of getting started: A book/book series that you have struggled to begin because of it's size.

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini


I've mentioned these books a couple of times. They were my boyfriend's favorite books growing up, and when he and I first got together we were supposed to read each other's favorite childhood series. He read all of the Harry Potter Series with in a year and it's taking me ....2 years....wow, and I'm only on the book two Eldest. I wasn't a big fan of Eragon but it wasn't bad, picking up eldest has been my isssue...no not picking it up, finishing it. I have picked it up a couple times in 2017 and got near halfway through when I kept putting it down and was just "blah" about the book. I didn't want to hate it because it's my boyfriend's favorite childhood series, but I wasn't happy with the pressure of reading it. As of 2018 I have picked up Eldest, and am finding that that book over all isn't that bad, but the chapters tick me off. I enjoy Eragon's chapters and tolerate Roran's chapters, but Nusuada's are so political and boring that I get irritated. I get why they're all important to help build up the story for Bisinger, even my boyfriend said Eldest was the hardest one to get through. That's other thing is the page count. These books are bricks. Yeah so are the later Harry Potter books, but the first four you fly through quickly that by the time they thicken up you want more detail.

2. Cleaning out the closet: A book and/or book series you want to unhaul.

The Millennium Series by Stieg Larsson



This series....I somehow remember enjoying this when I read it years ago. I didn't get the financial or political points at all, but I over all enjoyed the series, but then I heard the author died but someone was still writing the books based on the author's notes...this discouraged me from picking up any more in the series. I've kept them through nostalgia but I most likely wont read them again.

3. Opening windows and letting fresh air in: A book that was refreshing.

Everything All at Once by Katrina Leno


This book was refreshing in that the plot didn't rely on miscommunication. There was no unnecessary drama with in the family from moody kids or adults refusing to express feelings. It focused mostly on Lottie Reeves; the anxiety she was trying deal with on top of dealing with grief. That in itself was really refreshing of a book rather than me yelling at the pages "if you just talked to one another this whole book would be pointless!"

4. Washing out sheet stains: A book you wish you could rewrite a certain scene in.

Same book as above....There's a whole underlying plot point that was just not needed what so ever. The character can stay, I'd just rewrite his purpose because that's what brought the book down for me.

5. Throwing out unnecessary knick-knacks: a book in a series you didn't feel was necessary.

I'll get back to you on this when I read more series.

6. Polishing the doorknobs: A book that had a clean finish.

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue


Despite that I gave this book a 3 out of 5 stars it was still a very interesting read, and the ending was just so satisfying, it was like I let out a breath I didn't know what holding.

7. Reaching to dust the fan: A book that tried too hard to relay a certain message.

Alex, Approximately by Jen Bennett


It wasn't so much that this book was trying to push a message, I just thought it was trying too hard in general. I don't know who said this book was like You've Got Mail, and though it had nods to the movie, like straight up Bailey was sick when Porter was dropping hints that he was her online friend. Sorry Porter, you aint no Tom Hanks, otherwise what nods there were, didn't satisfy this need for this book to be similar to You've Got Mail. I also felt Bennett tried too hard in making these two be "teenagers" and I've seen this in other instances but the one that predominantly comes to mind is Juno where teen vocabulary is overly "odd" if that makes sense. Where Directors and authors can't quite choose a particular vocabulary for teens so they throw in a bit of everything: They're going to curse: overly or just randomly, but they're also going substitute cursing for random words like "fiddlesticks" or they're going to use oldies phrases like "that really steams my broccoli" but none of these are used enough to really say that these teens have a particular vocabulary, they'll say it once then never again. There's no pattern to there speech. It's chaos. Which I get some people view as teens, those "crazy kids" are always speaking funny so how is this any different? Because it's not (in my opinion) that drastic. I was a teenager once, yes I was weird and I used odd phrases from time to time, but never to that extent or if I did it was to be funny. And if that's what directors and authors are trying to do in representing teens, a type of satire, it's not funny, to me it just shows your own age in that you don't remember being a teen nor do you care to figure out how they talk currently. Bennett, I feel, does this with Bailey, and what's odd was that these over exaggeration of teenage vocabulary was used not so much when Bailey talked, but in her own narrative. The voice I imagine in her head as she's speaking about what she's doing and how she feels. It's in first person perspective, who's she trying to impress? It's one of the main reasons I was drawn out of the story and didn't connect with Bailey because I was too busy going "...what? why use that phrase for that you didn't say anything like that before."

8. The tiring yet satisfying finish of spring cleaning: A book series that was tiring yet satisfying to get through.

Again I haven't read very many series. Harry Potter was a pretty satisfying series to get through, the Hunger Games....to an extent were satisfying....more so that they ended, not so much with how it got there. I'm sure once I finish the Inheritance Cycle I'll be relieved and happy.

And that's it for the Spring Cleaning Book Tag!

Remember I am on twitter but don't know how to use it and on instagram and goodreads! (links in the side bar)

Until net time: What was your most satisfying read?

Litta


Questions:

1. The struggle of getting started: A book/book series that you have struggled to begin because of it's size.

2. Cleaning out the closet: A book and/or book series you want to unhaul.

3. Opening windows and letting fresh air in: A book that was refreshing.

4. Washing out sheet stains: A book you wish you could rewrite a certain scene in.

5. Throwing out unnecessary knick-knacks: a book in a series you didn't feel was necessary.

6. Polishing the doorknobs: A book that had a clean finish.

7. Reaching to dust the fan: A book that tried too hard to relay a certain message.

8. The tiring yet satisfying finish of spring cleaning: A book series that was tiring yet satisfying to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment