Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Character Names

Alright it's been about month since I did a Top 5. I know in January I wanted to continue trying to put out this Top 5 subject as a way to keep my content interesting, only issue with that was the themes in February escaped me. I don't know about you, but I haven't read very many books with a male/male romance or a female/female romance. Not on purpose! It's just never come up in my reading, so when this Top 5 came up with them in February I was at a loss of ideas and content.

So welcome back Top 5!

This week we'll be doing Top 5 favorite character names.

Now this wasn't actually this weeks theme, directly...I say that due to March's themes being a little late in being posted and there for this Wednesday it's a bit of a free-be in what we can choose, so digging into their unused themes I picked Character Names.





These names are in no particular order, I just like the creativity and flow of the name.

Let's get started.

1. The one that immediately popped into my mind was Lottie Reeves from Everything All At Once by Katrina Leno


This was one of my Uppercase books, and believe me when I say I probably wouldn't have picked this up on my own. If you remember my review of it, I hate hate hate the cover. But the story itself was actually really cute and endearing, with a family that actually communicates, which is refreshing that that's not where the story get's is plot, from miscommunication or lack there of.  Now Lottie Reeves suffers from anxiety and is learning how to deal with it, she's struggling due to the death of her beloved aunt. While trying to figure out her anxiety she's received letter's from her aunt after death, encouraging Lottie to break out of her shell and do things she may not have done willingly. This was over all a cute book. I connected to Lottie Reeves, and adore the name Lottie, it's cute and short, a little old fashioned.

2. Mateo Torrez from They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera


This book....



Tears shed... tears shed. However, Mateo...his character enlightened the name for me. Mateo Torrez, he as a character just seemed so fragile, sweet, and endearing, but my god did I want to protect him. Rufus too don't get me wrong, but Mateo...I just imagined him as a kid just consistently freaked out by every little thing and just hiding under the cover on a couch thinking that's the best place to stay safe. There were times through out the book that I just wanted to hug him, just to protect him a little longer. After reading this book Mateo just seems like such an innocent name.

3. Nobody "Bod" Owens from The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman


As odd as this name is, I though it was actually pretty cute and clever. "He looks like nobody, only himself, Nobody Owens." And as the story went on Bod fit into his name quite well, the character took shape around the name. A little ghostly, but still alive, clever but still doesn't know all that much outside the graveyard. Gaiman, I'm finding has a knack for names despite the oddity of them, they fit the story, and I'm quite the fan, as you'll see in 4.

4. Coraline Jones from Coraline by Neil Gaiman


I still don't quite believe this is a children's book. And it's odd to see it in that section when I go into book stores. If you've seen the movie, I personally would be wary of showing my child it under a certain age, the book is even creepier.




Perhaps it's because the name of the book is Coraline, that I just think this name fits so well with this book. Or that through out the book Coraline is constantly trying to correct her neighbors in saying it correctly. It is a unique name that I've come to adore.

and finally

5. August Flynn from This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab


I was obsessed with this name for a while, and still kind of am. August Flynn, much like Mateo Torrez, makes me want to protect him, even though he's a monster. The concept of this book is just so interesting and the fact that August came from a school shooting is just....relevant and heartbreaking.

Alright that was my Top 5 favorite character names! Let me know if you've read any of these and your thoughts, I'd love to discuss!

I'm on Twitter @Bitterly_Fun (despite not knowing how to use it)
and Instagram @Bitterlyfun
If you'd like to follow me on any other platform

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment