Wednesday, January 31, 2018

February/Contemporary-A-Thon TBR

No Top 5 Wednesday this week, I felt the topic was above me in that I can't think of 5 books in a favorite genre that didn't as much hype as I think they should get.....So I'm giving you a TBR instead

So you don't normally see me doing a tbr very often, but for some reason through out December and January I kept getting and putting aside books thinking "this would be a good read for February" and even at the end of January/beginning of February I'm setting aside books I want to get to in March....Crazy, you may see a TBR for March too!

So February is going to be mostly filled with contemporaries. At least that's my plan. So here I'll give you my TBR for February as well as my TBR for Contemorary-A-Thon, a contemporary themed read-a-thon.

Contemporary-a-thon is a read-a-thon created by Chelsea at Chelseadolling reads and Julie from Pages and Pens.

They created this last November and I didn't really do much for it, as you know November wasn't my best month.

But this is Round 2 which will be co-hosted by Natasha at myreadingisodd.

So the read-a-thon is a week long from:

February 12th to February 18th

and on February 17th they will be hosting a drunk live show on Julie's Channel 9 pm EST (6 pm PST)

This is essentially just a live show where the three drink and have fun and chat with viewers about the read-a-thon as well as other books, it's quite fun and enjoyable I have to say.

With most read-a-thons there is usually twitter sprints, however these ladies found they never apply themselves to sprints but have created a hashtag for twitter for those of us who still would like to chat about it: #contemporaryathon

With the contemporary-a-thon there are reading challenges, these are by no mean supposed to restrict your reading but rather have fun with the books you pick for your tbr.

So this is going to be my tbr. I know it's not going to be seven books, I'm lucky if I get through 2 in a week. So what I've done is found a couple books that fulfill multiple challenges, which is fine and encouraged.

Challenges:

1. Read the most recent contemporary book you've acquired
2. Read a book with Pink on the cover
3. Read a hyped book
4. Read a diverse book
5. Read a dark/taboo contemporary
6. Read a contemporary graphic novel
7. Read a contemporary that was recommended to you

My TBR

I know I'm not typically one for TBR's however I feel pretty good about this one. So far in January I've been reading everything but contemporary: Sci-fi, Fantasy. So I am ready for some contemporary, to the point where I was setting my contemporary books aside in hopes to read them for February, before I even knew this read-a-thon was happening.

My first book can actually fulfill three challenges, I almost want so say four.

Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie


This book follows Isma, who feels she is finally free to follow her long defered dream when she accepts an invitation from an American mentor. However, after years of taking care of her beautiful, head strong sister Aneeka, and her brother Parvaiz , back in London, after their Grandmother and their Mother die in the same year, Isma can't help but worry. Parvaiz is wanting to follow his own dream, by trying to prove himself to the dark legacy of the jihadist father they've never met. So when Parvaiz disappears only to re-appear half a globe away, Isma's worst fears are confirmed.
Meanwhile the son of a politician enters into the sisters' lives, but with a birthright of his own to accept or defy will he a chance at love? Will he be Parvaiz salvation?

As I said this can put into three challenges for sure.
1-my most recent contemporary purchase
2- a book with pink on the cover (cover is one of the reason I got it)
4- a diverse book, this is about a Pakistani family by a Pakistani woman
and I'm hesitant to say
5- a dark/taboo subject matter, with a brother trying to prove himself to a jihadist father? I would imagine that's not something that's easily talked about (Chelsea, Julia, Natasha, if you're reading this (and if you are, holy shit!) ugh-hrm...thoughts?)


Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde


I don't know two much about this one, I feel like it takes place at some kind of comic-con? I know it features a bisexual main character...I bought it for the cover ok...you got me.

This book covers four of the challenges:
2- A book with pink on the cover
3- A hype book, I don't hear about so much now, but when it came out back in March, it got real hyped
4- A diverse book, a character is bi-sexual
7- A book that was recommended to you, I'm sure if I scour through booktube I could find a couple booktubers recommending this book to their viewers

Giant Days Vol 2. by Allison + Treiman + Sarin + Cogar


Since this is the second volume I don't plan on revealing the synopsis, just know it's about three students new to university, trying to figure out themselves, sexuality, college, drugs, and the flu.

This book completes three challenges:
3- a hyped book, again booktube
6- a contemporary graphic novel, ok it doesn't say "contemporary" anywhere that I see in Goodreads, however it doesn't have any magical or fantasy or futuristic or sci-fi elements to it so I'm counting it.
7- A book that was recommended to you, thank you booktube.

So that covers all the challenges, except I'm still a little iffy with 5. I'd count it for sure for Home Fire but just in case I find I have time I may be picking up:

Love Letters to the Dead by Ava Dellaira


This book follows Laurel, who start's writing letters to the dead for a class assignment, however the one she wants to write to is her recently deceased sister May.

I think death is still a taboo subject, despite it being an occasional topic in terms of "loss" in YA books, it's still not as widely talked about.

So that's my goal in terms of Contemporary-a-thon. But I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself. My boyfriend and I are going out of town later that week to celebrate our two year anniversary, so I'm trying not to put too much pressure on myself to read these and just have fun. I mean that's what it's all about.

February TBR

So the rest of these books I'd like to get to in February. I feel like they kind of "belong" to February...does that make sense? in my mind it does.

The Haunted Vagina by Carlton Millick III


Steve is madly in love with his eccentric girlfriend, Stacy. But their sex life has been suffering as of late. Steve is worried about the odd noises coming from Stacy's pubic region. Stacy says her vagina is haunted, but doesn't think it's that big of a deal. Steve begs to differ. When a living corpse crawls out of her during an awkward night of sex, Stacy and Steve found her Stacy's vagina is actually a doorway to another world. Stacy's persuades Steve into crawling inside her, to explore this strange new place. But getting out isn't going to be easy, especially after he meets an attractive woman named Fig, who resides within the lonely haunted world between Stacy's legs.

How many times did you go "what the fu...?" right?! this just seemed like an odd and interesting read. I found it about a year ago when I found some satire books for my brother to read: Ass Goblins of Auschwitz by Cameron Pierce. It just seemed ridiculous and I think it'll give me a good laugh (which is a challenge in the 52 Books Around the Year Challenge)

Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women by Candace Walsh, Laura Andre and Lisa Diamond


This is a non-fiction anthology with varies essays of women leaving men for women.

In all honesty I thought it'd just be an interesting read, there's another topic that isn't talked about much.

Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett


This one is supposed to be similar to the movie You've Got Mail in that this guy and girl e-mail each other, she believes herself in love with him but is very wary of the fact she doesn't know him in real life. She ends up moving to California, where he lives, but doesn't tell him. She works at a museum where she finds that one of her co-workers is a bit annoying and becomes her "archnemesis" only to find her feelings for him may be more than that.

I wont kick myself if I don't get to this one in February, but I through it on here if by some miracle I manage to get to it.

I also hope to get to

Giant Days Vol. 3


which I'm sure I can squeeze in.

As well as finish:

Sourdough by Robin Sloan


and
Hearts of Resistance by Soraya M. Lane



I hope to get to others in terms of audio books, but I never know what I feel in the mood for with audiobooks until I actually go seek it out and listen to the narrator a few times to makes sure I can stand them speaking.

And that was my February/Contemporary-a-thon TBR.

If you've read any of these let me know your thoughts (no spoilers!)

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment