Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Top 5 Wednesday: Ideal Mashups!

Well hello there!

It's been a bit.

With spring comes sun, with sun comes cabin fever and an itch to do something productive. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I'm being productive in any way due to putting myself in the middle of many projects. A little here, a little there, and although I'm exhausted and it feels like I did a lot, the results may vary due to none of them being done.

Anyway...I'm almost done with Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice. I'm ultimately enjoying it, but I feel the narrator has too much of a "typical" Dracula voice (I'm listening to this book) which is a little distracting. I'm also in the middle of  Brisingr by Christopher Paolini, also enjoying it but we've gone my to Du Farthen (SP?) ....the mountains of the Dwarves, and I have a hard time imagining that area so it becomes a little irritating to read during this time. And finally, I'm in the middle of The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan which I'm enjoying but I'm finding myself enjoying more parts than others, as well as finding it hard to connect with Leigh. Her deal with Axel irritates me. Quit breaking the no bullshit rule Leigh!

Today is a Top 5 Wednesday and today's theme is Ideal Mashups. And the idea behind this is books you often see promoted as "The ideal book for fans of Harry Potter and Games of Thrones" some movies have this too where the announcer goes: "from the director you brought you John Wick and by the producers who brought you Charlie and the Chocolate Factory! This summer, take the trip of your life with...." I mean some of us know who directs and who produces movies, but when they say stuff like that I immediately think of the movies they gave as examples and try to mash them up. That's pretty much what we're doing today. If a book had a an ideal mash up to promote to you, what would it contain to get you to pick it up? We can also use TV shows, movies and games.

This is in no particular order. And if some of these sound like books that are already published...link them down below!

1. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Movie) Directed by David Yates and An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson


Bare with me here. Both of these I really enjoyed as their separate entities. Fantastic Beasts was fun and humorous and was over all a great jumping point for the series, but it lacked the wonderment that the Harry Potter movies had brought me, while Enchantment of Ravens had the wonderment and fantastical elements to it, as well as a romance that can be debated on being "insta-love" but it didn't have much depth to it, I wanted more to it. Both have interesting creatures, shape-shifting and the possibility of it's audiences to fall in love with the characters as they possibly fall in love with each other in a slow burn romance that would mostly be a side plot to an otherwise epic adventure SERIES filled with magical creatures, an enchanting environment, and epic villains.

2. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and Constantine (movie) Directed by Francis Lawrence


In thinking about these two, they aren't too far off from one another really. I just wanted a bit more action from The Graveyard Book. At first I was thinking The Matrix but as I went to describe why I realized it was pretty much Constantine. Paranormal meets paranormal as a boy with murdered parents is raised by ghosts, realizing he can "see" not only the ghosts but other beings, other living beings aren't able to see, as well, he realizes there's a danger in the world outside of the graveyard. 

3. Practical Magic (movie) directed by Griffin Dune and The Big Bang Theory (TV show) created by Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady


So if you're like me you kind of start thinking Sabrina the Teenage Witch, and yeah kind of the same idea in that witches/wizards try to live a somewhat "normal" life for whatever that maybe having "normal" jobs who happen to have magical abilities and live next door to each other in an apartment complex in a big city. A little nerdy, a little magic, and super funny and full of ridiculous antics as they 1-figure out they're all witches/wizards, 2- work in fields that are in tune with their abilities yet they have to keep the abilities secret, 3- try to deal with each others...quirks in living with each other. They don't all have to be witches/wizards, throw in a vampire or a werewolf? Have fun with it!

4. The Hunger Games By Suzanne Collins and Three Dark Crowns by Kendare Blake


So I'm trying to think of how to explain this. I enjoyed both of these books, but I thought Three Dark Crowns was going to be more like The Hunger Games in terms of "Fighting to the death" type of deal. Now perhaps it is, I have yet to read One Dark Throne, but my want from this is less political alignment more killing attempts in a location on the island sectioned off for the Queens to be. I though it was going to be more action packed. They could still have the lack of powers in two sisters and they could still use their knowledge to try and defeat their third sister. I really liked the idea of  Three Dark Crowns but I remember how intense it was reading the arena section of The Hunger Games and that's what I was hoping for and still want.

5. The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill and Bioshock (Video Game) Developed by 2k Boston and 2k Australia


With this I basically want an origin story for Bioshock. Who was the first one to find ADAM? Who were the first people they tested it on? What were their abilities after ADAM was administered? Like that but you know it was headed by an older woman and for some reason she tested it on "orphaned" surface kids she thought no one would care about and once in contact with ADAM would give the kids to a family who were researchers to observe the kids that eventually bring the downfall to the Utopia there in creating something for the rest of the series as those at the Surface figure out something was going on with the underwater utopia.

Now I just want these books to be made....someone write them. Or link them below if it's been done....please. 

Alright, if you have similar mash-ups let me know! or if you want to chit chat and expand on some of these ideas, let's do it! 

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment