Monday, April 30, 2018

Magical-Read-a-thon/April Review

Another month gone.

This month I read four books....At least I'm consistent.

Of those four books I read:

2- Fantasy
    1-Short story collection
    1- Paranormal
1-Young Adult
1- Graphic Novel

Of those four only one was an audio book.

All books accumulated to 1037 pages averaging 34.5 pages a day.

For ratings I had:

0- 1 Star
0- 2 Star
1- 3 Star
3- 4 Star
0- 5 star

My average star rating for the month is 3.75

I have completed three of the challenges for the Around the Year in 52 books Challenge, including:

2) A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read List
7) A gothic novel
20) A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends

For the Harry Potter themed Magical Read-a-thon I completed three of my owls, getting me a grade of Exceedingly Exceptional (EE)

I completed the following O.W.L's

-Care of Magical Creatures: Read a book featuring a magical creature or has one pictured on the cover
-Transfiguration: Read a book featuring transfiguration/shape-shifting or something of that topic, or has a cat on the cover
-Charms - Read a Fantasy book

Though admittedly, what I ended up completing weren't all completely part of my tbr but after moving stuff around found that the books still fit fine. For some reason I was under the impression I would get a poor grade if I didn't complete three books....so it works.

Getting onto the books:

The first book I finished this month was an audio book:

Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice, Narrated by Simon Vance

Released May 2011 by Audible, 14h 48m
This story is narrated by Luis, for the most part, as he talks to a young reporter in the late 20th Century about his life over the past 200 years as a vampire. His relationship with his so-called "master" Lestat, and their life in New Orleans. He informs us about Claudia, a five year old that came to mean everything to Luis, despite what she was, despite what he helped turn her into. 

This is the first in the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rise. I grew up watching the movie and loving it. So I was kind of excited to jump into this book. However, I found the narration a bit....dramatic?  Vance had emphasized the typical "Dracula" voice despite Luis being from New Orleans, and a Frenchman at that, it was a little off putting. It was also hard to tell when he spoke for Luis and when he spoke for Lestat. The pace, in the beginning, was fairly slow, I had a hard time getting into the book. I enjoyed it over all, but my over all reaction to it was very "meh." I didn't hate it, but I feel like I could have enjoyed it better. I do hope to continue on with the series.

3 out of 5 stars.

I originally had this book as my chosen book for the Charms challenge for the Magical Read-a-thon, but decided to move it to Care of Magical Creatures. Vampires are magical creatures right? I think so.

This book completed challenge 7) a gothic novel.

The Astonishing Color of After by Emily X.R. Pan

Published March 2018, by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Leigh Chen Sanders is convinced her mom turned into a bird after committing suicide. The bird is telling her to go to Taiwan, and after some convincing her, Leigh is able to go to Taiwan and meet her maternal grandparents for the first time. Finally able to explore her Taiwanese half of her family, Leigh struggles to come to grips with her mother ending her death and her not being home when it happened. Leigh was at her best friend Axel's house, on his couch, kissing him, when her mom decided to end her life. But now she's a bird, and keeps giving Leigh clues as to what her mother may have been hiding when she was alive.

If you want a more in depth review of this book from me, I have one posted Here.
Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I got it as a Book of the Month pick in March, and kept hearing great things about it. It did take me a bit to connect with just because I, in general, go into art themed books with skepticism. And though it did have it's flaw's (I felt that the conflict between Leigh and her dad about her doing art for a living could have been resolved more in depth) I still enjoyed it. As well as the tension between her and Axel (though I feel this could have been pushed a little further as well) This book had be bawling by the last couple chapters.

4.5 out of 5 stars

This book completed the Transfiguration O.W.L for the Magical Read-a-thon

as well as challenge 20) A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends

Giant Days Vol 4 by John Allison

Published March 2017, by BOOM! Box
There's not much to tell about this one. It's a graphic novel about three young women in their first couple years in college as they go through out their drama, classes, sex lives, love lives, sexuality, etc... The series over all is visually pleasing, the drama is actually pretty humorous for the most part. I've ordered the next two volumes. It was just something quick to read between books.

4 out of 5 stars

The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J.K. Rowling

Published December 2008, by Arthur A. Levine Books
This is a collection of short stories by "Beedle the Bard" translated from runes by "Hermoine Granger" with commentary from "Albus Dumbledore"....over all by J.K. Rowling. These short stories are mentioned in the Harry Potter series, and are essentially children's bedtime stories that witches and wizards tell their children. 

I really enjoyed this. I had gotten this book a couple years ago in a white elephant gift exchange, and for some reason just didn't have the motivation to read it. The Magical Read-a-thon seemed perfect to finally pick it up and I thought it was adorable. My boyfriend had told me he had enjoyed the stories but not so much the commentary, I on the other hand loved everything. I enjoyed the stories, I thought they were fun, as well as Dumbledore's commentary, which explains some of the revisions made to the story to "better fit" the author's view points on magic, or why the stories were banned, etc...It was over a needed and much themed read for this month. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars, not for disliking anything in particular, it's just how I felt.

This book wasn't originally on my TBR for this month, but after adjusting Interview with the Vampire to complete the Care of Magical Creatures O.W.L I could easily put this book in for Charms" Read a fantasy. 

This book also completes challenge 2) A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read List. This book was actually number 1 on my Goodreads TBR, as I think I found Goodreads just after I finished or was in the middle of the Harry Potter series and had learned there were these smaller publications back in 2012. (Now my #1 is Fantastic Beasts and where to find them) 

And that is all for my Magical Read-a-thon/April Review

I'm sorry to say I will not be posting an April book haul, if you notice, I didn't post one for March as well, just cuz I think it's more of a hassle than it needs to be, an until a time I can figure out how to make it less of a pain I don't intend on doing it any more.

Thank you for joining me!

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment