Saturday, February 3, 2018

January Haul

I'm curious....Is a haul interesting content? Is it something you really want to see, or that I think you'd like to see? Or do I want to show off the books I got, throw it out there to the void and tell myself someone is listening but really all I want to do is show off while you think "...who needs this many books?" It's a weird concept to me. Is this just a verification that I'm getting new content to read to tease you in case I happen to pick it up one day?

 Ooohh look what I got! Here's what it's about, see how pretty it is? But who knows when I'm going to read it? Not even me!!! Muahahahahaha!





All right rant over....moving on...

I think this is my most exciting haul, in all honesty. So many interesting books came out in January that I felt like I had to snag up! 21 books let's just get into them.


The Gracekeepers by Kristy Logan

Published April 2015, by Harvill Secker
This story follows Callanish who administers shoreline burials and isolates herself on an island, maintaining the watery graves as penance for something done long ago that still haunts her.
And North, who is a circus performer with Excalibur, an acrobatic group that travels by sea from archipelago to archipelago entertaining in exchange for sustenance. The world is divided by those who live on the main land, "Landlockers" and those who float on sea, "Damplings." Loneliness is a way of life for North and Callanish until a sudden offshore storm comes and changes the worlds they live in, offering new understanding the world they live in and the consequences of the past, restoring hope in an unexpected future.

This book is based off Scottish Myth and folklore, it's cover is stunning and lovely in terms of illustration. I had been wanting it for a while and finally bit the bullet and ordered it, and I'm so happy I did.

These next two I'd like to thank two of my good friends for getting me a gift certificate to my favorite local book store to get these two books. So thank you so much!



The first being:

Autonomous by Annalee Newitz

Published September 2017, by Tor Books
This book follows Jack, a rakish female pharmaceutical pirate, who traverses the world in her own submarine. An anti-pantent scientist who fancies herself as a Robin Hood type heroine fighting to bring cheap drugs to those who need it most, but her latest drug has been leaving lethal overdoses across what used to be North America, a drug that get's people addicted to their work.
On Jack's trail is an unlikely pair, an emotionally shut down military agent, Elias, and his partner, a young military robot, Paladin. This book alternates between Jack and her conspirators, and Elias and Paladin as they race to stop this epidemic that is tearing apart lives, causing train crashes and flooding New York City.

I remember having this on my radar before it came out, and I just didn't really want to spend the money on this new adult hard cover, however, thanks to my friends I now have it!

I also got:

A Conspiracy of Stars by Olivia A. Cole

Published January 2018, by Katherine Tegen Books
Octavia has one goal: follow in her parent's footsteps and become a prestigious whitecoat: A scientist who studies the natural wonder's of Faloiv. The secrets of the jungle's plants and animals are well kept secrets of labs of the Council of N'Terra, but when rules change, allowing students in the labs, Octavia should be overjoyed. But something isn't right. The new leader of the Council of N'Terra has some extremist views, and he's getting others to follow his change to how things are run. When Octavia sees a Faloii, and indigenous people of Faloiv, attacked at night in front of her, she knows the council is hiding something. They are living in different world's on a shared planet, and his decisions could lead to an out right war. With the help of her hacker savvy class mate, Rondo, and her inquisitive friend, Alma, Octavia is set on discovering secrets behind the history she's been told, the science she lives by and the truth about her family.

Saw the cover of this and wanted it. I love being able to go to Northtown Books and say "hey can I special order 'X'?" and them go "yeah it'll be here this Friday" only for them to call me the next day saying it's in.

Speaking of which this next book goes along with that, but I have to thank my brother for his gift card to me for Northtown books.

again...Thank you bro!

The first book being:

Robots Vs. Fairies edited by Dominik Parisien

Published January 2018, by Saga Press
This book is an anthology pitting Fairies and against robots and seeing who wins. There's a bunch of different authors for this book. I enjoy this cover so much. The concept is just so out of the blue for me, but my curiosity just took the reins and said "GET IT GET IT GET IT!!!!" and I was so happy that Northtown Got it in so quick, they actually got it before the release date on Goodreads, so yeah I'm stoked.

The next one I have to thank my brother for is:

Batman: Night Walker by Marie Lu

Published January 2018, By Random House Books for Young Readers
This is the companion? sequel? to Leigh Bardugo's Wonder Woman: Warbringer of DC Icon's Series. I have not looked at the synopsis out of fear of spoiling it for myself as I have yet to read the Wonder Woman book...

This next one I pre-ordered when I picked up the other's and am nervous but happy I did.

Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman

Published January 2018, by Simon & Schuster for Young Readers
This is the second book in was has recently been announces as a trilogy (so far) the Arc of a Scythe Series. I read Scythe back in November (you can see what it's about here, and my full review Here) and I actually enjoyed it for the most part, and honestly wasn't sure if it really needed a sequel....let along having it be a trilogy, but my boyfriend really enjoyed it so I figure why not? I suppose we can more to gawk about that Harry Potter (I mean I guess but do we really?)




Here with some children's and middle grade books I also got at Northtown books....because I have no self control.

Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth by Oliver Jeffers

Published November 2017, by Penguin Young Readers
I don't look too into children's stories if they're a picture book, if I like the illustrations I like the illustrations and I'll get it, the story is a plus if I like it.


The Doldrums by Nicholas Gannon

Published September 2015, by Greenwillow Books
This book follows Archer B. Helmsley and his friends Adelaide L. Belmont and Oliver Grubb as they device and adventure to rescue Archer's grandparents, famous explorers before they were lost on an ice burg. There plan sounds like it's going to work, well for the most part, that is if Archer's overprotective mom doesn't get in the way and if things go to plan.

After reading Harry Potter at the end of the year I felt like something was missing in my life, and when I stumbled upon this middlegrade book and the next, I realized it was a bit of adventure.

The Wonderling by Mira Bartok

Published September 2017, by Candlewick Press
Welcome to the Home for Wayward and Misbegotten Creatures, an institution filled with terrified part animal part human groundlings. Miss Carbunkle runs the place, a villaeness who believes her charges only exist to serve and suffer. They toil from classroom to factory forbidden to enjoy anything regular children have; particularly singing and music.For one eleven year old, part fox with a missing ear, this has been his only home. Never given a proper name, the number 13 is etched on a medallion around his neck. But unexpected courage leads him to acquire the loyalty of a young bird groundling named Trinket who gives the loneliest inhabitant two gifts: A real name, that of the good King in old Stories, Arthur, and a best friend. Embark on this duo's adventures as they use Trinket's inventions to try to make their own path by escaping "Home."

Snow and Rose by Emily Winfield Martin

Published October 2017, By Random House Books for Young Readers 
This book is about two sisters, who don't know they're in a fairy tale. Their father has disappeared into the woods. Their mother has disappeared into sorrow. The enchanted woods have been waiting for the sister, to break a set of terrible spells.

If you've been seeing my hauls for a bit you will probably recognize the name Emily Winfield Martin, or perhaps even the art (or not? why knows?) But I've gotten a couple of her books before for my niece, as well as myself. I enjoyed her art in Dream Animals and Day Dreamers: A Journey of Imagination but those were more picture books (reason why I got them for my niece, they came in the format of thick cardboard pages) But when I saw that this was middle grade it perked my interest even more. I want to see more of her writing style and how it goes alone with her illustrations.

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians) by Rick Riordan

Published June 2005, by Disney Hyperion Books

This book follows Percy Jackson (duh), he's about to get kicked out of another boarding school. But something's wrong, and it's not his fault. He can't seem to control his temper or stay focused, it probably doesn't help that his mythology book seems to spit up mythological monsters that try to kill him. And what's worse is that he seems to have angered the Greek God Zeus, who's accusing Percy of stealing a lightening bolt. After meeting new friends and Camp Half Blood, a camp for demi-gods, Percy has to find and return Zeus's lost property before the world sees the wrath of Mount Olympus. But who's the real thief?

I remember trying to read this a couple years ago...rather a boyfriend was trying to read it to me before we went to bed (yeah don't do that..especially if you want me to pay attention) but lately I've been wanting to find a book series that brings that similar excitement that Harry Potter gives....if that makes any sense. I also enjoy mythology and was actually hoping to read Riordan's Apollo Series, it had been suggested I read this first as there are cross overs.

How to Train Your Dragon (Book one) by Cressida Cowell

Published February 2003, by Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III is a Viking known to all as "the Dragon Whisperer"...but it wasn't always like that, back when the mighty warrior was just the quiet thoughtful son of the Chief. Back when Hiccup tried to capture a dragon and train it without him being torn limb from limb.

I had heard that this was a book series after watching the movie a couple of times. I'm debating on doing a book to movie comparison...

The next two I ordered off Book Outlet and thought I was going to be getting them sooner than the new year honestly.

Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett

Published April 2017, by Simon Pulse
Bailey "Mink" Rydell is a classic movie fan, and has been crushing on a witty film geek for months. Only issue is she only knows Alex online. Two coasts separate the teens until Bailey moves in with her dad in the same surfing town your online crush lives. Faced with doubts, Bailey doesn't tell Alex she's moved, she lands a job at the local tourist trap museum where she begins to be heckled daily by the irritatingly hot museum security guard, Porter Roth- a.k.a her new archnemesis. But life is messier than the movies and Bailey discovers there's a tricky fine line between love, hate and whatever she's feeling for Porter. As the summer months go by Bailey is having trouble, does she take the risk that is Porter and give up on her dreamy online fantasy Alex?

This book is supposed to be similar to You've Got Mail, which was the sole reason why I got it. I have read Bennett's The Anatomical Shape of a Heart and found it a little forgettable and unbelievable but a decent YA romance nonetheless.

The Nest by Cynthia D'Aprix Sweeney

Published March 2016, by Ecco
I'm going to be completely honest with you, I really only wanted this for the cover. I love Rococo/Baroque art and this cover just screams it. What I do know about this book is that the characters are fairly hate-able and its about a entitled family with problems....

These next few are from Amazon (smile, because then I don't feel as bad)

The Umbrella Academy: Apocalypse Suite #4 (Vol. 1) by Gerard Way Illustrated by Gabriel Ba

Published May 2015, By Dark Horse
 This comic....I've had my eyes on this comic book for years and for some reason, never got it. I think it's because when you put something on a "list" in amazon and that particular seller is no longer selling it, it no longer looks like that product is available at all. I only just figured that out, so thinking they just never had it anymore only to figure out I just needed to find another seller I snapped this one up. This cover is glorious. It's dramatic, it's dark, it elegant, it's romantic, it surreal, my heart just melts for this cover. I don't even know what the comic is about I'll be honest. This art style reminds me so much of James Jean it's hard to think it's Gabriel Ba, whom I will now be researching and adding to my watch of illustrators. I'm also just curious because it's by Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance, a band that I haven't been able to let go since it's introduction into my life back in 2001 (of which James Jean did illustrate their cover for Black Parade) So there's all kinds of reason for me to want this, I'm fan-girling over EVERYTHING!



...expect content...I'll get to that. Still unsure of the order of this comic series however, will look more into it figure that out.\

Dear John, I Love Jane: Women Write About Leaving Men for Women - Edited by Candace Walsh and Laura Andre

Published October 2010, by Seal Press
This is a collection of stories of women leaving men. Pretty self explanatory. Thought it'd be an interesting read and I thought it was a cute retro cover.

Snotgirl: Green Hair Don't Care (1-5) by Bryan Lee O'Malley, Illustrated by Leslie Hung, colored by Mickey Quinn and lettered by Mare Odomo

Published February 2017, by Image Comics
I don't know a whole lot about what this comic is supposed to be about, even the Goodreads synopsis doesn't help much. Ultimately I found the colors stricking and the art style stylized and fun so I wanted to give it a try.

Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

Published August 2017, by Riverhead Books
Isma is free. Years after her mother's death she's been taking care of her siblings, but now has accepted an invitation from a mentor in America. However, she still worries for her siblings back in London. Her sister, Aneeka, is beautiful and headstrong. Her brother, Parvaiz, has dissapeared to prove himself to the dark legacy left behind by their jihadist father they've never met. When he resurfaces half a globe away, Isma's fears are confirmed. Then the son of a  powerful political figure, Eamonn enter's the sisters' lives, but he has a birthright to live up to, or defy.

I forget where I saw this book, but the cover was stunning and I found I really enjoy literary fiction, so I ordered it right away

And finally my Book of the Month picks (yes there's multiple):

The Power by Naomi Alderman

Published October 2017
This book revolves around the prospect of a power change, women can hurt and/or kill people with the touch of their hands. This book was offered a couple months ago, I've been hearing good things and really just wanted to pick it up

Red Clocks by Leni Zumas

Published January 2018, by Little, Brown and Company
This book follows four women in Oregon in the near distant future where abortion and invitro pregnancy is outlawed and companies or people have steak in everyone's embroys.  This and the next were one of the picks for January and it just sounded really interesting.

Two Girls Down by Louisa Luna

Published January 2018, by Doubleday
This book was another pick for January and it almost sounded like Child Finder in that two girls go missing and a female detective teams up with a guy with a troubled past and not a great reputation with in the community. I didn't want to read too much of the synopsis as it is a sort of thriller/horror and I like to go into those not knowing too much.

And those were the book I received in January. If you've read any of them let me know what you thought, and keep an eye out for monthly reviews to see my thoughts.

Until next time!

Litta

No comments:

Post a Comment